WSU rowing concludes solid weekend in San Diego

Cougs finished ahead of Pac-12 foe UCLA in all three final races

WSU rowing competes in the Grand Finals of the San Diego Crew Classic in San Diego, California on Sunday.

COURTESY OF WSU ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS

COURTESY OF WSU ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS

DYLAN GREENE, Evergreen sports editor

WSU rowing concluded the second and final day of racing Sunday at the San Diego Crew Classic at Mission Bay.

The Cougars’ second varsity eight and varsity four each placed fourth, and the varsity eight finished fifth at the event.

WSU advanced to the final of each event Saturday, racing against Pac-12 competitors University of Berkeley, California, University of California, Los Angeles, and University of Southern California.

Big-12 Conference teams University of Texas and University of Oklahoma also participated. The Golden Bears placed second at the 2017 NCAA Championships and the Longhorns are ranked fourth nationally.

The Cougars edged out the Bruins in all three of their races Sunday. Cal won all three of its races, while Texas finished a close second in each of its three.

The second varsity eight of WSU battled hard for fourth as the Cougs bested the Sooners by half a second. The Golden Bears won the Jackie Ann Stitt Hungness Memorial Trophy with a time of 6:46.996 while the Cougars finished with a time of 7:08.317.

The Cougar varsity four, consisting of freshman coxswain Chloe White, freshman Emma Gribbon, senior Emily Weible, junior Grace Arnis and sophomore Sue Yu, were first to the water Sunday morning, placing fourth in the battle for the Karen Plumleigh Cortney Cup with a time of 8:00.956 and finishing ahead of fellow Pac-12 competitors USC and UCLA.

The varsity eight finished fifth in the race for the Jessop-Whittier Cup, posting a time of 6:51.480 — less than a second behind fourth-place University of Victoria.

WSU continues its spring season 8 a.m. Saturday when they take on bitter rival University of Washington. The meet will be held on Montlake Cut in Seattle.

The subhead in this story has been changed to reflect that WSU rowing finished ahead of UCLA in all three races and not Cal.

DYLAN GREENE, Evergreen Editor-in-Chief

Dylan Greene is a journalism and media production major from Stanwood. He started as the football beat reporter in the fall of 2017 and midway through that semester he was promoted to Assistant Sports Editor. He served as the Sports Editor for the 2018 spring semester and became Editor-in-Chief in May of this year.

• WSU rowing concludes solid weekend in San Diego

Mens

Men’s golf places 11th in Ram Masters Invitational

SoCal games are a homecoming for most Cougar players

Sports

WSU volleyball goes west for Apple Cup match

Jason Gesser resigns amid new sexual misconduct allegations

Winston has a knack for finding end zone

Week Three Pac-12 North power rankings

Evergreen Athlete of the Week: Gardner Minshew II

Former WSU volleyball player claims Jason Gesser groped her, attempted to kiss her without consent

• Mens

Men’s golf starts Monday

Sports

Cougars tame Mustangs