Cougars win on walk off

WSU battled back after allowing four runs in first inning

Sophomore left-handed pitcher AJ Block pitches to a Saint Mary’s batter on March 8 at Bailey-Brayton Field. Block has a 5.19 ERA this season.

AVERY COOPER, Evergreen reporter

With two strikes and nobody out in the bottom of the 10th inning, WSU junior infielder Justin Harrer stared down the pitcher.

On the third pitch, he crushed the ball over the left centerfield wall and hit the score board to secure an 8-7 walk-off victory for the Cougars over Arizona State University on Thursday.

Senior right-handed pitcher Ryan Walker picked up his second win of the season, pitching four score-less innings with five strikeouts while giving up just two hits and a walk.

The Sun Devils jumped out to an early 4-0 lead in the top of the first inning, but the Cougars responded quickly by scoring six runs in the second inning to take the lead.

A two-run homer over the centerfield wall by ASU freshman infielder Spencer Torkleson gave the Sun Devils a 7-6 lead in the top of the sixth inning.

As the game reached the ninth inning the score was tied at eight and the Cougars had an opportunity to win, but three WSU batters came to the plate only to be retired in order.

In the top of the 10th inning the Sun Devils loaded the bases with two outs, but Walker forced ASU freshman infielder Drew Shift to ground out to WSU junior infielder Andres Alvarez and set up Harrer’s walk off homerun.

The Cougars continue the series with Arizona State at 5 p.m. Friday at Bailey-Brayton Field.