Cougars break program win record in Arizona

WSU dropped only second Pac-12 match this season against ASU

GEORGE RODRIGUEZ | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Sophomore Guzal Yusupova serves the ball in her match against Colorado on April 1 at Hollingbery Fieldhouse. WSU defeated the Buffaloes 4-0.

RYAN MOSHER, Evergreen reporter

No. 34 WSU tennis traveled to the desert for two matches. First up was No. 39 Arizona State University on Friday.

Despite capturing the opening doubles point for the 19th time this season, the Cougars (20-3, 5-2) lost 4-2 to the Sun Devils (13-5, 5-2).

Freshman Michaela Bayerlova, ranked No. 46 in the nation, was the only Cougar to grab a victory in singles matches. She defeated ASU freshman Lauryn John-Baptiste, No. 42 nationally, to improve to 5-1 against other nationally-ranked players this season.

WSU Head Coach Lisa Hart said it was disappointing to lose, but she was encouraged by her team’s ability to not give up.

“There were a lot of very close matches throughout the singles lineup,” Hart said in a WSU news release. “Winning the doubles point put us in a positive position and unfortunately, we couldn’t capitalize in singles. I’m very proud of the way all of our players fought.”

The Cougars then made the short trip south to Tucson to take on University of Arizona (9-12, 0-7) on Saturday. WSU was able to capture its 20th victory of the season against the Wildcats with a 4-1 win, a feat previously unaccomplished by the program.

The victory in Tucson also marks the Cougars’ first-ever victory over Arizona on the road.

Hart said the match was tough, and she was glad the Cougars were able to bounce back from the loss against ASU.

“Arizona is a very talented team, and we had our hands full,” Hart said in the release. “This win was a total team effort, and I am so proud of the way our players battled on back-to-back days and found a way to win.”

WSU will return to Pullman for its next match at 1:30 p.m. Friday against No. 23 Stanford University. Weather will determine whether the match is held inside Hollingbery Fieldhouse or at the Outdoor Tennis Courts. If the temperature is over 50 degrees and wind speed is below 25 miles per hour, the teams will play outside.