Golden Bears upset Cougars

WSU lost both home conference matches this weekend

Freshman+Michaela+Bayerlova+winds+up+to+connect+with+the+ball+in+an+attempt+to+continue+the+rally+during+her+match+against+Stanford+on+Friday.+
Freshman Michaela Bayerlova winds up to connect with the ball in an attempt to continue the rally during her match against Stanford on Friday.

DYLAN GREENE | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

DYLAN GREENE | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

RYAN MOSHER, Evergreen reporter

No. 37 WSU tennis lost its last home match of the season 4-3 to No. 45 University of California, Berkley, on Saturday.

It started off well for the Cougars (20-5, 5-4) as they grabbed the doubles point but Cal (11-7, 6-3) fired back in singles taking victories in the first four matches.

WSU Head Coach Lisa Hart said she was proud of her team’s effort.

“One through four, [Cal] came out really competitive and won all the first sets credit to them,” Hart said. “I’m excited about possibly getting to play them again at the Pac-12 Tournament, if that ends up happening I think maybe the result could be different.”

Freshman Michaela Bayerlova and junior Aneta Miksovska where the first to capture a win in doubles.

The doubles point was clinched when WSU’s sole senior Barbora Michalkova and her doubles partner, sophomore Melisa Ates, upset junior Olivia Hauger and freshman Julia Rosenqvist, the No. 36 doubles duo in the country.

In singles, WSU lost the first four matches, cementing the victory for the Golden Bears. However, the last two singles matches weren’t stopped and play proceeded until they were completed.

In match six, Ates grabbed the Cougars’ second point to make it 2-4.

Miksovska forced three sets and a super tiebreaker in the last match, coming out on top to make the final score 4-3 Cal.

The day also served as senior day for Michalkova and Hart said it was bittersweet.

“Barbora had a really great doubles win to clinch the doubles point so that was good for her,” Hart said. “She had a huge win, probably the biggest of her career yesterday, so if we call it the senior weekend it was pretty good.”

Michalkova said she enjoyed her victories this weekend but was disappointed the Cougars weren’t able to come out on top.

“I think we all competed well and we all tried our best it was just not enough.” Michalkova said, “I think we need to take a couple days off because we are pretty tired right now … we will be ready to play and ready to grind.”

WSU’s final match of the season will be in Seattle against bitter rival University of Washington at noon Saturday.

“We need to regroup and put everything behind us for our rival,” Hart said. “It’s always the match we have circled on our schedule and I think our players are really excited to hopefully redeem themselves.”

• Golden Bears upset Cougars

Mens

Men’s golf places 11th in Ram Masters Invitational

• Golden Bears upset Cougars

SoCal games are a homecoming for most Cougar players

• Golden Bears upset Cougars

Sports

WSU volleyball goes west for Apple Cup match

• Golden Bears upset Cougars

Jason Gesser resigns amid new sexual misconduct allegations

• Golden Bears upset Cougars

Winston has a knack for finding end zone

• Golden Bears upset Cougars

Week Three Pac-12 North power rankings

• Golden Bears upset Cougars

Evergreen Athlete of the Week: Gardner Minshew II

• Golden Bears upset Cougars

Former WSU volleyball player claims Jason Gesser groped her, attempted to kiss her without consent

• Mens

Men’s golf starts Monday

• Golden Bears upset Cougars

Sports

Cougars tame Mustangs

Golden Bears upset Cougars