Cougars battle for walk-off victory over Cal

WSU was outscored 22-13 in three game series with Golden Bears

ABBY LINNENKOHL | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

Senior outfielder Blake Clanton slides into home, scoring the second point for the Cougars in the second game of the series against Cal, Saturday at Bailey-Brayton Field.

AVERY COOPER, Evergreen reporter

WSU senior outfielder JJ Hancock delivered a line drive walk-off winning hit in the second game of a doubleheader against University of California, Berkeley, on Saturday.

The 4-3 victory in the bottom of the 10th inning salvaged the three-game series against Cal for the Cougars, who won one game.

Hancock said it was nice to end the doubleheader by driving in junior infielder Andres Alvarez.

“It was a long day. It was going to become longer it felt like, so I felt I had to do it right there,” Hancock said of his walk-off single. “I felt like I had to do whatever I could to bring home [Alvarez].”

Senior right-handed relief pitcher Ryan Walker picked up the win after he threw four innings and gave up two runs.

Cal started the scoring in the top of the third inning. Golden Bears junior catcher Tyrus Greene led off the inning with a single. Junior center fielder Tanner Dodson followed up with a single of his own that advanced Greene to second.

Cal sophomore Andrew Vaughn was hit by a pitch to load the bases, which brought up junior left fielder Jonah Davis. Davis would work a six pitch walk to drive in Greene and make the game 1-0.

Cougars responded after sophomore third baseman Dillon Plew led off the bottom half of the inning with a single. Sophomore catcher Cal Waterman then hit an RBI double to score Plew and tie the game at one.

WSU senior starting pitcher Scotty Sunitsch settled down over the next three innings, after giving up the early run in the third. He pitched three scoreless innings until Walker was brought in the top of the seventh.

Walker gave up his two earned runs in the seventh to give Cal a 3-1 lead.

WSU responded immediately. After a groundout to second by freshman outfielder Collin Montez, senior first baseman James Rudkin hit a double. A wild pitch by Cal brought home Rudkin and advanced Plew and Waterman to third and second base respectively.

Alvarez would then hit an RBI single to score Plew, and Waterman was thrown at home plate to tie the game at three.

Walker responded to the two runs given up in the seventh inning by tossing three scoreless innings all the way through the top of the 10th.

With two outs in the 10th, Alvarez came to the plate and laced a double into the right centerfield gap, which brought up Hancock. Hancock then lined the ball into right field for the win.

Head Coach Marty Lees said the Cougars did a good job after dropping the first two games against Cal.

“They could have folded it up and said ‘we’re already two down let’s get this thing over with,’” Lees said. “For the second weekend in a row, they refused to do that … they battled to the very end and won another extra inning game in another walk-off and there’s not a much better feeling.”

Hancock said the win helps the Cougars feel better about the series after dropping the first two games 13-6 and 6-3 respectively.

“We were down after losing the last two games but now we can find the positives from the weekend and also look at the negatives and go onto next weekend,” Hancock said.

The Cougars will head to Spokane to face Gonzaga University at 6 p.m. Friday.