Local farmers market returns to Pullman

Handful of vendors are alumni of WSU, hoping to give back

Pullman Farmers Market offers community opportunity access to fresh, locally grown produce and meets. The market opens this Wednesday at 3:30 p.m.

COURTESY OF PULLMAN FARMERS MARKET

COURTESY OF PULLMAN FARMERS MARKET

CHLOE GRUNDMEIER, Evergreen reporter

Fresh produce and locally sourced meats are becoming more and more popular. The easiest way to access this local produce and meats is through a farmers market.

Amada Argona, Pullman Farmers Market manager, has worked with both the Moscow and Pullman markets and said she loves getting to know the local communities and vendors to understand their needs.

Over the past 10 years, Whitman County’s own farmers market has grown and prospered, but still remains small and personal in a way that promotes “steadfast and loyal relationships,” Argona said.

Argona believes every community should have access to the fresh food a farmers market provides.

“Every community should have a farmer’s market available to them,” Argona said. “Pullman is such a good location for one, the school has the agriculture program and the area is just surrounded by so much farm land.”

In less populated areas, farmers markets also “give smaller producers an outlet to share their artisanship with the community,” Argona said.

Argona said by purchasing from a farmers market, the consumer can know the profits will directly benefit these smaller producers and thus the community as a whole.

WSU has one of the best precision agriculture programs in the world, according to WSU Insider. This market allows the students involved with the agriculture programs in the area to form connections and relationships that can lead to internships and even jobs after college, Argona said.

The smaller nature of the market also allows for students to participate more directly if they wish. Argona said students with side jobs or hobbies have the opportunity to speak with market management and possibly sell their products to the community.

Many of the vendors at the farmers market are some who took up these opportunities while studying at WSU and now the Cougar alumni are returning to share their produce and products with the Pullman community.

The Pullman Farmers Market will take place from 3:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. every Wednesday starting new week in the Spot Shop parking lot. Admission is free and open to the public.

“So many people involved with this farmers market are tied to the community,” Argona said. “They have Cougar pride just as the current students do.”

CHLOE GRUNDMEIER, Evergreen reporter

Chloe Grundmeier is a junior communication major from Kennewick. She’s a self-described makeup-lover and hopes to become a divorce attorney.

• Local farmers market returns to Pullman

Counselor creates safe space

Palouse Juice presents soulful, healing evening

Holiday bazaar hosts town business booths

Co-op shows off remodeled facility

Community feast hopes to teach, safekeep history

Sweet treat event showcases local business

‘Foreigner’ resonates with local cast director

‘I Voted’ attendees express concerns, praise over midterms

WSU alumni want consumers to ‘drink differently’

Nutrition business strives to improve habits

Local farmers market returns to Pullman