Martin Stadium do’s and don’ts for home games

What you should bring to a home game, and what won't make it through the gate

Fans overlook the field from the stands of Martin Stadium during a game between WSU and the University of Southern California Sept. 21, 2017.

RYAN MOSHER, Evergreen sports reporter

Home games in Martin Stadium are an essential part of campus life during the fall. Here’s what you need to know before you go.

New rules

WSU has joined a wave of sporting venues that ask fans to use clear plastic bags to carry belongings into games. The new rule says the only bags allowed, as stated on the athletics website, are:

• Clear plastic, vinyl or PVC bags that do not exceed 14” x 8” x 14”
  • Clear drawstring backpacks no larger than 14” x 14”
  • One-gallon clear re-sealable plastic storage bags
  • Small clutch (purse) bags no larger than 4.5” x 6.5” with or without a handle or strap
  • Seat cushion & seat cushion with back (no pockets or zippers) 18” or less in width

Athletic Director Patrick Chun stated that approved bags will be given for free to the first 10,000 fans at Martin Stadium for the Saturday, Sept. 8 home opener. And for football season ticket holders, they will receive one bag per account.

Keep in mind that prohibited items now include backpacks, camera cases, clear backpacks, tinted plastic bags, oversized tote bags, diaper bags, printed pattern plastic bags, fanny packs, binoculars cases, mesh bags and purses.

However, if you need to bring in an item that is not permitted but is medically necessary, you will be allowed to take it in after being subjected to additional screening at the gate. This applies to diaper bags; however, an infant must be present.

Don’t bring

Animals are prohibited unless it is a service animal or currently in training to become a service animal.

Only empty plastic water bottles smaller than 1.5 liters will be allowed. Larger containers and glass and metal thermoses are not allowed.

Camcorders and other video recording equipment are not allowed without written permission from the WSU Athletic Department. Cameras are allowed as long as they don’t have a large lens, but keep in mind that camera bags are prohibited.

Strollers are allowed inside but must remain in the concourse area at owner’s risk.

Do bring

School spirit, no Martin Stadium game is complete without the boisterous student section filled to the brim, so wear your crimson and gray and cheer on your Cougs.

Keys — an important Cougar tradition is to make sure to rattle your keys when the Cougars are punting or kicking off, and just maybe it will “rattle” the opposing team.

Banners/signs — handheld banners and signs are permitted if they “are in good taste, contain no profanity or derogatory statements, and do not block the view of other patrons,” according to stadium policy. Remember, you might want to line up early to get a front row seat to show off your creativity.

Weather appropriate wear — the Pullman climate can be unforgiving, whether the sun is beating down on you as you wait in line hours early with the Cougar faithful, or as rain pours down and cold winds chill you to the bone during halftime. Make sure you are prepared to ride it out.

RYAN MOSHER, Evergreen sports editor

Ryan Mosher is a sophomore multimedia journalism production major from Edmonds, and the fall 2018 sports editor. He joined the Evergreen in fall 2017 as a freshman reporter. He studies journalism out of a passion for storytelling. After graduating he hopes to serve in the U.S. Coast Guard. He can be reached at [email protected] or (509) 335-1140.

• Martin Stadium do’s and don’ts for home games

Week 11 Pac-12 North power rankings

Cougars carve up Buffaloes 31-7

• Crime

Pullman PD releases video of Broughton arrest

• Crime

WSU athlete faces gross misdemeanor charge

No. 8 Cougars face Buffaloes in Boulder

Football looks primed to go more than Bowlin’

• Football

Freshman wide receiver Drue Jackson to transfer

Week 10 Pac-12 North power rankings

Cougs claw past Golden Bears

No. 8 Cougars face Golden Bears