Soccer storms past Redhawks

No. 21 WSU takes home opener after recording three goals

Freshman midfielder Ebony Clarke sends the ball down field towards the Seattle University goal Friday at the Lower Soccer Field.

RYAN PUGH | DAILY EVERGREEN

RYAN PUGH | DAILY EVERGREEN

RYAN MOSHER, Evergreen sports editor

No. 21 WSU soccer won its first game of the season by defeating Seattle University 3-1 on Friday night in Pullman.

The Cougs bolstered their home opener record with the victory, bringing their mark to 23-5-2 in home openers all-time.

WSU Head Coach Todd Shulenberger said he wanted to start the year on a high note and his team did just that.

“One of our goals coming in here is to kick the athletic year off for WSU. We’re the first to go, we’re the first show in town so we like to get the party started here,” Shulenberger said after the game. “It was good for it, get the win against an in-state rival, a very good Seattle team … the atmosphere tonight was electric.”

Despite winning 3-1 the Cougars were not the first on the scoreboard. The Redhawks scored early on in the first half, however, a star emerged leading WSU to victory.

The star was junior forward Morgan Weaver who scored two goals and assisted on the Cougars third.

Her first goal was a header to get the Cougs on the board and tie the game. Weaver followed that with an assist on a goal by sophomore forward Elyse Bennett in the 49th minute. The most impressive act from Weaver on the night would be a 20-yard strike to secure the 3-1 Cougar victory.

“I just turned and said you know what let’s just go for it. I did, and it ended up going in,” Weaver said of the goal.

This was the third multi-goal game of Weaver’s career and she is now tied for 10th all-time in scoring in WSU history after notching the 17th goal of her career in the match.

Shulenberger said that he expects more good things to come from Weaver this season.

“Well that’s Morgan. She’s a junior now, she’s paid her time, her dues here and we expect some good things out of her.” Shulenberger said. “The sky is the limit for Morgan and what she’s going to do this year.”

Next up for WSU is Grand Canyon University at 1 p.m. Sunday at the Lower Soccer Field. The game will also be broadcasted live on Pac-12 Networks.

RYAN MOSHER, Evergreen sports editor

Ryan Mosher is a sophomore multimedia journalism production major from Edmonds, and the fall 2018 sports editor. He joined the Evergreen in fall 2017 as...

• Soccer storms past Redhawks

Mint

Quirks, rumors about buildings on campus

• Soccer storms past Redhawks

Regulating speech cripples critical thinking

• Soccer storms past Redhawks

WSU heads to capital to face Hoyas

• Soccer storms past Redhawks

Pet owners should be knowledgeable, care for their companions

• Soccer storms past Redhawks

WSU volleyball hosts last four games of season

• Soccer storms past Redhawks

President Schulz addresses graduate student questions, concerns

• Soccer storms past Redhawks

Cultivate thought within a supersaturated world

• Soccer storms past Redhawks

Palouse Juice presents soulful, healing evening

• Soccer storms past Redhawks

City Council discusses parking shortages

• Soccer storms past Redhawks

Community feast hopes to teach, safekeep history

Soccer storms past Redhawks