Buckle down Cougs: smoky conditions to continue

National Weather Service advises those sensitive to stay indoors during week

The photo above shows a comparsion of Bryan Hall during a clear, sunny day and Monday when smoke from several local wildfires blanketed the building.

OLIVER MCKENNA | EVERGREEN PHOTO ILLUSTRATION

RACHEL SUN, Evergreen news editor

The National Weather Service issued an air quality warning for regions including Pullman and the surrounding area.

Smoke in Pullman is expected to linger until at least Thursday, with some relief possible over the weekend when temperatures cool and precipitation is more likely.

Right now, “there’s so much smoke around wind in almost any direction is going to blow more in,” Jon Fox, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service, said.

Pullman will likely stay smoky, although changes in temperature and other weather factors later in the week could provide relief.

“The best hope is going to be the weekend,” Fox said. “We’re looking at cooler conditions and precipitation.”

As of Monday afternoon, the air quality reached “unhealthy” levels before improving somewhat to “unhealthy for sensitive groups.”

In a statement published Monday, WSU announced the Facilities Services on the Pullman campus were transitioning buildings to air-recirculation when possible. Some buildings, such as those with labs, will not be able to recirculate air.

N95 masks can be purchased at the Cougar Health pharmacy as well as other convenience stores around campus, said Karly Gomez, assistant to the vice president of student affairs.

Those most affected are children, elderly and those with respiratory illnesses, according to the air quality warning by the National Weather Service.

Football, soccer and cross country did not have scheduled practices for Monday, but would monitor the air quality to determine if Tuesday practice would be moved indoors.

The city of Pullman relocated two outdoor children’s programs to indoor facilities because of the smoke, said Kurt Dahmen, recreation manager for the city of Pullman.

“150 is kind of the magic number where it goes into the unhealthy range,” he said. “Luckily, we’re at the end of our summer programming.”

The city also closed its outdoor pool and Reaney Park and opened the indoor Aquatic Center.

RACHEL SUN, Evergreen news editor

Rachel is a senior Journalism and Media Production major from Albion, Washington, and is the news editor for fall 2018. She started working for The Daily Evergreen in January of 2017. Before taking the job as news editor, Rachel worked as a photographer, writer and photo editor.

• Buckle down Cougs: smoky conditions to continue

‘2 Weeks of Pullman’ aids Cougar Health Fund

‘Party in the Park’ celebrates culture, cuisine

• News

Activist visits campus to talk leadership, involvement

• Crime

Man stabbed in Pullman Thursday night

Candidate hosts town hall, discusses climate change

University hopes to see growth in global students

Faculty Senate introduces new website

Pipe dreams: Impacts of local pot businesses in Pullman

ASWSU Senate talks voter registration, appropriation

Data shows high levels of freshman enrollment