WSU golf stumbles in day two of season-opening tourney

Junior Marie Lund-Hansen led way for WSU shooting 2-under in first day of play

Then-senior+Cherokee+Kim+scopes+down+her+putt+at+the+WSU+women%E2%80%99s+golf+Cougar+Cup+on+Sept.+20.+

PETER AN | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Then-senior Cherokee Kim scopes down her putt at the WSU women’s golf Cougar Cup on Sept. 20.

TAYLOR DUNLAP, Evergreen sports editor

The WSU women’s golf team landed a 12th place finish in its season-opening tournament Monday and Tuesday.

The team traveled to Albuquerque, New Mexico, for the two-day Branch Law Firm/Dick McGuire Invitational. Of the seven women rostered, only five competed. They played in a total of three rounds to end with a combined score of 886 (+22).

Junior Marie Lund-Hansen scored the best on the team finishing the two rounds Monday with a score of 70 (-2) and another score of 72 (even). By the end of the day, Lund-Hansen was tied with five others for 10th place and a combined score of 142 (-2).

Senior Madison Odiorne and freshman Amy Chu each golfed a 74 (+2) and a 73 (+1) on both of their rounds Monday. Their combined score of 147 (+3) each tied them for 29th place on the first day.

Freshman Kenedee Peters ended the first round with a score of 77 (+5) but made a strong comeback to shoot a 71 (-1) on her second round, ending the day with a combined score of 148 (+4), just one under her fellow teammates. Redshirt sophomore Emily Baumgart shot a 76 (+4) and 74 (+2) for a 150 (+6) total.

WSU ended the two-round day No. 9 amongst the 16 teams competing. After a long day, the team would tee off at 6:30 a.m. Tuesday to finish the tournament.

The final round brought a challenge to the team’s scores. Lund-Hansen shot a 76 (+4) ending with a final score of 218 (+2) for the three rounds, dropping her nine spots from where she entered the day and tying her at 19th to finish.

In Odiorne’s last round, she matched her first-round score with a 74 (+2), completing the tournament tied for 33rd. Chu ended her first collegiate golf tournament shooting a 75 (+3) giving her a total score of 222 (+6) and tied her for 37th, while Peters shot a 79 (+7) tying her for 59th. Baumgart finished the round with a score of 78 (+6), giving her a combined score of 228 (+12).

At the end of the two days, the team ranked No. 12 with a score of 886 (+22) while Kent State University took the title with a score of 858 (-6). Individually it was Pepperdine University’s Hira Naveed who won with a final score of 209 (-7).

Head Coach Kelli Kamimura was proud of her team’s performance and is looking forward to the upcoming season.

“I am excited about the growth I’ve seen in the team this week, especially with two new freshmen in the lineup,” Kamimura said. “We had a couple of bumps in the road today, but we learned from it and now know what to work on to take into Coeur d’Alene.”

WSU will compete next at the Coeur d’Alene Resort Collegiate Invitational tournament Sept. 24 and 25 in Coeur D’Alene, Idaho.