Jason Gesser placed on home assignment pending investigation into new OEO complaint

Jason+Gesser%2C+pictured+here+at+a+Cougar+Athletic+Fund+event+in+2015%2C+was+the+subject+of+an+Office+for+Equal+Opportunity+inquiry+in+January+2018+regarding+complaints+of+sexual+misconduct.+

Jason Gesser, pictured here at a Cougar Athletic Fund event in 2015, was the subject of an Office for Equal Opportunity inquiry in January 2018 regarding complaints of sexual misconduct.

Courtesy of WSU Athletic Communications

Courtesy of WSU Athletic Communications

Courtesy of WSU Athletic Communications

IAN SMAY, Evergreen reporter

WSU released a statement announcing it has placed Jason Gesser on home assignment following a new Office for Equal Opportunity complaint filed today alleging sexual misconduct against him.

The Evergreen reached out to Gesser, the assistant director of athletics for the Cougar Athletic Fund, who answered the phone and  hung up after we asked if it was him.

The statement is attributed to President Kirk Schulz and Director of Athletics Pat Chun. It also contains a comment from OEO Executive Director Kimberly Anderson. The statement is replicated in full below.

“Earlier today, the Washington State University Office for Equal Opportunity (OEO) received an accusation of sexual misconduct against Jason Gesser, an employee of the WSU Athletics Department. This is the first time that an individual who was directly involved in an alleged incident of sexual misconduct has filed a formal complaint with OEO against Mr. Gesser.

‘This is new information and a different set of events than previously reported,’ said Kimberly Anderson, Executive Director of the Office for Equal Opportunity. ‘In accordance with standard WSU practice and in consultation with relevant University officials, Mr. Gesser was placed on home assignment pending a full investigation of the allegations.’

Washington State University carefully examines all allegations of sexual misconduct, sexual harassment, and discrimination and provides both parties with the full opportunity to present information. If individuals have any information regarding allegations of misconduct by WSU employees, they should call the Office for Equal Opportunity at 509-335-8288 or send email to [email protected].”

Last Thursday, the Evergreen released a 3,100 word report about multiple allegations of sexual misconduct and harassment against Gesser, spanning back to 2014. The university released a statement in response to the article, saying it had completed the investigation in accordance with policy and had not found any wrongdoings, other than about $40 in non-compliant charges, which Gesser had repaid.

IAN SMAY, Evergreen reporter

Ian Smay is a senior journalism & media production major, with an emphasis in broadcast news, from Dayton, Washington. He is also minoring in criminal...