Arrest made for Sunday arson at Theta Chi

Suspect charged with three counts of arson, one vehicle prowl

A fire started early Sunday morning by 19-year-old Isaac Scott DePaolo destroyed Theta Chi's deck and had five ignition points. DePaolo has been booked in the Whitman County Jail.

BENJAMIN MICHAELIS | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

RACHEL SUN, Evergreen news editor

A 19-year-old Cheney, Washington man has been arrested in connection with the Sunday morning fire at WSU’s Theta Chi fraternity that had multiple ignition points and left a back deck destroyed.

Isaac Scott DePaolo was arrested Monday with the help of the Cheney and Eastern Washington University police departments after detectives used security footage from numerous sources and interviewed members of Theta Chi, according to a news release from the Pullman Police Department.

The fire at the fraternity started around 5:15 a.m. Sunday morning, the report said. A motive has not been determined, according to the report, but police believe alcohol “played a role” in the arson. DePaolo is not a student at EWU or WSU.

In addition to attempting to set fire to Theta Chi and burning the fraternity’s porch, DePaolo was charged with starting a dumpster fire reported earlier that day and burning the interior dash of a car.

DePaolo has been booked in the Whitman County Jail on charges of arson in the first degree, two charges of arson in the second degree and a charge of vehicle prowling in the second degree.

RACHEL SUN, Evergreen news editor

Rachel is a senior journalism and media production major from Albion, Washington, and is the news editor for fall 2018. She started working for The Daily...