Late-night bakery opens doors in Washington

Pullman is only location in state to house chain, stays open until 3 a.m.

ALYSSA STANFIELD | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

The brand new Insomnia Cookies located in Pullman delivers cookies until 3 a.m.

MAGGIE QUINLAN, Evergreen reporter

The late-night bakery chain Insomnia Cookies opened its doors for the first time in the state of Washington last week at 902 NE Colorado St. The bakery specializes in delivering warm cookies and brownies along with cold milk and ice cream every day until 3 a.m.

Marketing Manager Nicole Geyer said the company aims to serve college students’ needs.

“We are up early, late and any time in between, just like college students,” Geyer said.

She said they chose to open the bakery close to campus to ensure quick delivery to college students.

“Students could walk right in and grab a warm cookie with a cold milk before, between or after class, during a long night of studying or on their way home after a fun-filled night,” Geyer said.

Insomnia Cookies was dreamed up 15 years ago by Seth Berkowitz in his college dorm room in Pennsylvania.

Cookies can be ordered online, on the company’s app or over the phone, according to their website. These sweet treats are available to pick up or they can be delivered in little pizza-box style containers in an average of 30-45 minutes.

Despite having 140 locations across the country, Pullman’s Insomnia Cookies is the only location in all of Washington. Geyer said WSU drew Insomnia Cookies to open a location in Pullman.

“College students love our cookies and we knew [WSU] would be no exception to that,” Geyer said. “After just one week of being open here, we are sure Insomnia Cookies is a perfect fit for Pullman and Pullman is a perfect fit for us.”

The small space on Colorado Street recently housed the Bagels & Bottles sandwich shop and before then it was the home of a sandwich shop called Munchy’z for years. Now the room is painted purple, smells like freshly-baked cookies and has been inviting customers for a week.

The bakery sells boxes with either six, eight, 12, 18 or 24 cookies. Anyone interested can also order a “Delicious Duo” made up of two cookies and a cold glass of milk. There are nine traditional cookies to choose from, all of which are $1.60 except for the $2.20 vegan and gluten-free chocolate chip cookie.

There are two jumbo deluxe cookies, three types of cookie cakes, one classic brownie, six cookie ice cream sandwiches, three baked goods a la mode and two pints of ice cream available.

Insomnia Cookies in Pullman closes at 3 a.m. every day, with delivery starting at 10 a.m. on weekdays and noon on weekends.

“We are thrilled to be here,” Geyer said. “You can definitely expect exciting things from us in the months and years to come.”