Cougs keep perfect record

No. 9 WSU is the only team to have no losses or ties after playing through 10 games

Cougs keep perfect record

Junior forward Morgan Weaver takes a shot on goal after beating Oregon State's redshirt junior defender Jessi Witherington in the match Sunday at the Lower Soccer Field.

ABBY LINNENKOHL| THE DAILY EVERGREEN

ABBY LINNENKOHL| THE DAILY EVERGREEN

ABBY LINNENKOHL| THE DAILY EVERGREEN

SHAWN P. O'CONNOR and TAYLOR DUNLAP

No. 9 WSU soccer remains the only team in the nation still undefeated as it beat Oregon State University on Sunday by a score of 2-0, adding to the team’s 10-0-0 perfect record.

The Cougars dominated both halves, outshooting the Beavers 34-5, including a 15-1 advantage on shots on target. Junior forward Morgan Weaver led the way for the Cougs with eight shots, while senior midfielder Maddy Haro and senior defender Maegan O’Neill found the back of the net for WSU.

“Everything is falling into place where it should be,” Haro said. “It’s awesome to hear [we’re] back on the map where we should be, so hopefully we keep this going and keep this undefeated record which would be huge.”

In the first half, the Cougars dominated the field nearly the entire 45 minutes, resulting in a 1-0 lead. WSU had 18 shots and three corner kicks in this half compared to Oregon State, which had only two shots and no corner kicks.

O’Neill found the back of the net in the 19th minute. She received a pass from sophomore forward Elyse Bennett in the center of the box, sending home a strike that put the Cougs on top.

The Beavers challenged WSU’s offense as they showed a strong defensive fight throughout the game. Oregon State’s freshman goalkeeper Bridgette Skiba played a crucial part in this defense as she had 11 saves up to the 65th minute of the game.

After gaining possession near midfield, WSU gained possession and broke away, gaining a two-on-none advantage with just Skiba to beat. She left her box, sliding to stop the attack. However, the slide caught the feet of a Coug attacker and drew a foul.

Skiba would be shown red, ending her night and setting up a free kick just outside the box. Haro stepped up and sent the shot home, putting the game away.

The Cougs held on, allowing no more serious offensive opportunities for the Beavers. The goal scored by Haro ended the scoring for the game and led the Cougars to a 2-0 victory and their fifth shutout of the season.

WSU will take on University of Colorado 2:30 p.m. Thursday in Boulder for its fourth game in Pac-12 conference play.

About the Writers
SHAWN P. O'CONNOR, Evergreen reporter

Shawn P. O'Connor is a junior broadcasting major from Oak Harbor, Wash., he worked with his local fire department when he was in high school.

TAYLOR DUNLAP, Evergreen sports editor

Taylor Dunlap is a freshman Zoology major from Kettle Falls, she loves chocolate.