Mylonas shines at Long Beach

Senior stood out after taking home two titles in California tourney

Mylonas shines at Long Beach

Then-junior Tiffany Mylonas prepares to strike the ball during a game against Purdue on Feb. 3 2018 in Pullman

EZEKIEL NELSON | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

EZEKIEL NELSON | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

EZEKIEL NELSON | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

TY EKLUND, Evergreen reporter

Senior Tiffany Mylonas dominated as WSU tennis participated in the three-day Long Beach Invitational event in California this weekend.

Mylonas won the Flight A singles championship and the Flight A doubles championship along with freshman teammate Hikaru Sato.

The Long Beach Invitational hosted nine other teams and consisted of four singles and two doubles flights.

Friday resulted in the Cougars winning four of their six singles matches. Among the singles winners was Mylonas, who was the only Flight A participant to make it through to the second round beating senior Skyla Alcon of California State University, Northridge.

In the Flight B singles, both freshman Yang Lee and junior Melisa Ates recorded straight-set wins against their opponents to move onto Saturday’s event. In the Flight C singles, senior Aneta Miksovska won her match against Cal State Northridge.

Day one also saw success for both WSU Flight A squads in the doubles bracket. The first WSU team had Mylonas and Sato face off against Grand Canyon University for the first-round win. Their second match win was against Cal State Northridge.

Both Flight A singles winners of Friday were successful Saturday, with Mylonas and Sato picking up a pair of wins. The same story went for Flight B’s Ates and Lee and Flight C’s Miksovska, who advanced to Sunday’s finals as well. Junior Ege Tomey picked up a win Saturday advancing her to Sunday’s consolation finals.

In the doubles play on Saturday, the dominating Flight A duo Mylonas and Sato had a 6-1 win over California State University, Long Beach. Flight B doubles also saw success with Ates and Tomey getting the 6-4 win over the team from Loyola Marymount University.

As the tournament came to a close Sunday afternoon the Cougs came out with a handful of victories. In the Flight A singles bracket Mylonas won the title and in doubles play Mylonas and Sato defeated Long Beach 6-3, taking another championship win.

Flight B singles had Lee and Ates defeating their opponents from Long Beach and Northridge respectively. The two then went on in their B Flight championship match to defeat Portland State 6-3.

Miksovska won the C Flight singles championship match by defeating opponent freshman Emma Bardet from Long Beach. Tomey failed to come out of the consolation final with a win, falling to Northridge’s Sibel Demirbaga 6-1, 6-2.

The Cougs’ next event will be Oct. 18-22 at the ITA/Northwest Regional Championships in Stanford, California.

TY EKLUND, Evergreen reporter

Ty Eklund is a junior sports management major from Spokane, he also works as a sports announcer for KUGR radio.