Stanford swims past Cougs

Swim falls short against defending champions in Gibb Pool

Senior+Rachel+Thompson+races+freestyle+during+the+WSU+vs.+Arizona+swim+meet+Oct.+14%2C+2017+in+Gibb+Pool.+
Senior Rachel Thompson races freestyle during the WSU vs. Arizona swim meet Oct. 14, 2017 in Gibb Pool.

RYAN PUGH | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

RYAN PUGH | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Ty Eklund, Evergreen reporter

WSU women’s swim competed at home in Gibb Pool for the first time this season against No. 1 Stanford University.

The last time the Cardinal visited was in 2015, when Stanford won 149-119. The match Friday was similar as the Cardinal won 169 to 86.

Of the top 10 individual-scoring athletes from the combined teams, Stanford had eight of those slots. The highest-scoring WSU swimmer was sophomore Taylor McCoy with 10 points. Placing as the highest-scoring individual for Stanford was a three-way tie for 18 points a piece between sophomore Lauren Pitzer, freshman Lucie Nordmann and freshman Taylor Ruck.

Both teams competed in a total of 14 races, in which Stanford took first in every single event.

Racing times also hit the Cougs hard. In the 1000-yard freestyle, the closest WSU came was 22 seconds behind the top-three placing Stanford swimmers.

In the 200-yard backstroke the closest WSU got was seven seconds behind Stanford junior Erin Voss. A heavier hit came in the 500-yard freestyle, which saw WSU’s closest contender junior Ryan Falk lose by 15 seconds to Pitzer.

The Cougars came close to taking first place in a couple events, but the overall matchup was too much for them to catch up to Stanford.

“We’re a little bit under-gunned but we’re going to keep working on that every day,”  WSU Head Coach Matt Leach said. “From start to finish it was just a learning curve for our program and I hope next time we get in on Sunday against Boise State we can show just a little bit better improvement.”

After the loss at home, WSU is now 1-1 to Stanford’s 2-0. Despite the loss, the Cougs will be taking a couple deep breaths and hosting again at 10 a.m. Sunday against the Boise State University Broncos.

• Stanford swims past Cougs

Mission accomplished: Now the tradition continues

• Stanford swims past Cougs

Crime

Football player pleads guilty to ‘baby DUI’

• Stanford swims past Cougs

Week Seven Pac-12 North Power Rankings

• Stanford swims past Cougs

Athlete of the Week: McKenna Woodford

• Stanford swims past Cougs

Paul G. Allen passes away

• Sports

WSU broadcaster Bob Robertson retires

• Stanford swims past Cougs

Co Ed

WSU cross country competes in two meets over weekend

• Stanford swims past Cougs

No. 21 Cougars fall to Cal Berkeley on road

• Stanford swims past Cougs

College Gameday finally comes to Pullman

• Stanford swims past Cougs

Sports

No. 19 Cougs fall short against No. 2 USC

Stanford swims past Cougs