Cougars tie No. 1 Stanford after double overtime

WSU was missing five starters for game with reigning champs

WSU senior defender Maddy Haro collides with Stanford sophomore forward Civana Kuhlmann while going for a header during the game Sunday at the Lower Soccer Field.

BEN SCHUH | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

BEN SCHUH | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

BEN SCHUH | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

KATIE ARCHER, Evergreen reporter

Cougar soccer hosted No. 1 Stanford University on Sunday afternoon at the Lower Soccer Field, with the game ending tied 1-1 after double overtime. Head Coach Todd Shulenberger said the game was a huge result against the No. 1 team in the country and with five starters out of the game.

Junior forward Morgan Weaver said the result shows how good the Cougars can be.

“I think it just shows that we’re able to do what we can and we can fight with any team,” Weaver said.

The Cardinal almost had an early goal as the Cougars were looking for an offside call, but redshirt junior goalkeeper Rachel Thompson made the save. During the first half, the Cougars would play a lot of defense against the Stanford attack.

The Cardinal used their ability to defend the Cougars’ set pieces to break out and attack WSU offensively, helping Stanford find the back of the net first in the 41st minute. After volleying the ball to herself, Stanford sophomore forward Catarina Macario delivered a bending strike past Thompson.

The Cardinal would come close to scoring again before the first half ended but the shot would hit the post. In the second half, it had another early scoring opportunity that was fought off by the Cougars.

Weaver had a chance to score in the 72nd minute. However, Stanford redshirt senior goalkeeper Alison Jahansouz denied the attempt as Weaver followed the ball and was given a yellow card.

About five minutes later, Weaver would find a goal on a missed played ball from Stanford, sending it past a stretched-out Jahansouz. This was Weaver’s ninth goal of the season, a career-best.

As the final minute was winding down, WSU had a corner kick. Fans were on their feet and cheering as the ball went into play, but it was blocked. The teams went into two 10-minute overtimes before the game ended in a 1-1 tie. Both teams came close to winning but neither got a ball into the back of the net.

Stanford had a total of 34 shots on goal and four saves, while WSU had 16 shots on goal and 12 saves.

Shulenberger said he was excited for the Cougars’ next game against in-state rival University of Washington.

“We love the Apple Cup so we’re ready for the Huskies to come on over here,” he said.

WSU will host UW in its final regular season game at 7 p.m. Friday on the Lower Soccer Field. The game can also be seen live on Pac-12 Networks.

KATIE ARCHER, Evergreen reporter

Katie Archer is a junior multimedia journalism and public relations major from Corvallis, Ore., she has been to 27 states.