Swim team competes in final meet of 2018

Cougars will travel to Houston, Texas, for Phill Hansel Invitational

BENJAMIN MICHAELIS | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

Freshman freestyle swimmer Emily Barrier competes in the women’s 200 yard freestyle against University of Wyoming on Friday at Gibb Pool. This will be the Cougars’ first time going to the Phill Hansel Invitational.

SIGMUND SEROKA, Evergreen reporter

WSU swimming will head to Houston, Texas, on Friday to take part in the three-day Phill Hansel Invitational.

Named after former University of Houston Head Coach Phill Hansel, the invitational will host 10 teams alongside WSU, who will participate in the meet for the first time and is the only Pac-12 school competing.

Houston head swim coach Ryan Wochomurka said is very excited about the invite and relates competition to a championship display.

“For us, it is almost a dry run of our conference meet, in terms of the format,” he said. “It’s a three-day format, an NCAA format with prelims and finals. It’s a championship setup.”

WSU holds a 3-4 record on the season and is on a two-meet losing streak after a tough loss to University of Wyoming on Friday. Although the team fell to the Cowgirls 140-122, the Cougars took home seven wins and 11 season-best times.

Freshman Keiana Fountaine has remained dominant all season, winning two of her individual events and helping post a new season-best time in the 200 freestyle relay with teammates freshman Emily Barrier, freshman Paige Gardner and sophomore Chloe Larson.

Fountaine also posted a season-best time in the 200 freestyle, making her the seventh-fastest Cougar to ever swim that event.

Many of Fountaine’s sophomore teammates also posted season-best times and placed in the top three in their individual events. Mackenzie Duarte, Taylor McCoy and Samantha Howell all contributed to the 11 season-best times WSU racked up in the meet.

The Phill Hansel Invitational will mark WSU swimming’s last event in 2018. Preliminaries will begin at 10 a.m. each day, followed by finals at 6 p.m. Friday and Saturday and 3 p.m. Sunday.