Track claims 11 victories to open indoor season

Cougs swept women’s 60-meter dash claiming top three spots in event

ABBY LINNENKOHL | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Then-junior Katelyn Frost competes in the pole vault during a dual track meet against University of Washington on April 28 at Mooberry Track.

DYLAN GREENE, Evergreen deputy sports editor

WSU track and field opened its indoor season Saturday as the team took home 11 event victories.

The Cougars sent athletes to compete at the UW Indoor Preview in Seattle and the Bronco Invite in Nampa, Idaho.

Ten of the team’s event victories came at the Bronco Invite. WSU swept the women’s 60-meter dash as junior Jordyn Tucker, senior Regyn Gaffney and junior Lauren Newman finished first, second and third respectively.

Sophomore Charisma Taylor claimed the women’s 200-meter with a time of 25.34 seconds and redshirt junior Tierney Silliman finished third in the event. Taylor also won the women’s long jump with a distance of 5.91 meters.

Freshman Ronna Iverson sprinted to a victory in the women’s 400-meter and was a part of the 4×400-meter relay team that took first as well.

Redshirt junior Aoife Martin flexed her muscles in the women’s weight throw, claiming first with a throw of 17.27 meters.

Overall, the women captured six event wins in Idaho. On the men’s side, junior Emmanuel Wells Jr. led the way for the Cougars as he took first in the 60 and 200-meter.

Sophomore Jake Ulrich won the men’s 400-meter and junior Sam Brixey claimed the men’s long jump with a personal record 6.87 meters.

In Seattle, only senior Peyton Fredrickson was able to bring home an event victory. He won the men’s high jump while sophomore Mitch Jacobson finished right behind him in second.

Redshirt junior Natalie Ackerley raced to a third place finish in the women’s 800-meter and sophomore Zorana Grujic took fifth.

After a successful start to the season, the Cougars return to Pullman to host the WSU Indoor Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the Indoor Practice Facility.