Track and field hosts second indoor meet of year

WSU returns to Pullman this weekend hoping to build off early success

ABIGAIL LINNENKOHL | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Redshirt junior Molly Scharmann competes in the pole vault at the WSU Indoor on Jan. 19.

KATIE ARCHER, Evergreen reporter

WSU track and field returns home to host the Cougar Indoor on Friday and Saturday after picking up 10 event victories in New Mexico this past weekend.

The meet kicks off 12:30 p.m. Friday with the 60-meter hurdles in the women’s pentathlon. Other notable events that will be held that day include the men’s and women’s triple jump, women’s pole vault, men’s and women’s weight throw, men’s and women’s 5K and men’s and women’s 3,200-meter relay.

The 60-meter hurdles in the men’s heptathlon and the men’s long jump will start the second day of competition at 10 a.m. Saturday. A majority of the running events will be held on this day while a handful of field events will be contested.

Last weekend, the Cougars competed at the UW Invitational and the New Mexico Team Invitational where they once again set personal records and new WSU indoor records.

In Seattle, freshman Emma Jenkins set a new personal record and broke the WSU freshman indoor record in the 3000-meter with a time of 9:43.66.

In Albuquerque, freshman Charisma Taylor had a mark of 12.96 meters in the women’s triple jump to set a WSU indoor record. Taylor now has top-10 marks in the triple jump and long jump in the WSU history books.

Senior Chrisshnay Brown tossed the third-best throw in program history in the women’s shot put and sophomore Emily Coombs grabbed the seventh-best mark in school history in the women’s pole vault.

Junior Emmanuel Wells Jr. sprinted to a personal record 6.67 seconds in the men’s 60-meter dash, tied for the fourth-fastest time ever by a WSU athlete. Sophomore Jake Ulrich raced to the 11th best time in the nation in the men’s 400-meter dash.

Other Cougars to set personal records included redshirt senior Natalie Ackerley, junior Sam Brixey, junior Kaili Keefe, redshirt junior Paul Ryan, senior Nathan Wadhwani and redshirt freshman Amir Ado.

The Cougar Indoor will begin at 12:30 p.m. Friday and conclude Saturday inside the Indoor Practice Facility.