Snooping around: Snoop Dogg to headline WSU’s Springfest

Snoop Dogg performs at the House of Blues in Orlando, Fla., Thursday, Feb. 4, 2005.

Catherine Kruse Evergreen Reporter

Snoop Dog is coming to Pullman this April and headlining the Student Entertainment Board’s annual Springfest event.

Tickets go on sale at the CougarCard Center and TicketWest.com on Feb. 4.

Springfest is put on by SEB to celebrate student accomplishments and the ending of another school year. Activities include carnival rides, food and Snoop Dogg, along with other featured musicians.

SEB’s primary goal this semester is to put on an event that is suitable for both students and community members.

“The community is a big part of what we do at WSU,” said SEB Advisor Berto Cerrillo.

The event will still have its usual carnival rides, courtesy of Davis Northwest Shows and live outdoor music featuring local bands from the Pacific Northwest. A magician will also be walking around the fair and a beer garden will be made available.

Amy Keough is a senior at WSU and has volunteered at Springfest for the past four years. She described the event as a big treat for students and a good experience to have everybody out there. The concerts are big and she’s never been disappointed while there.

“I think it’s a really cool event for the whole community to come and do something together,” Keough said.

Additionally this year’s Springfest will feature the Luminarium, a giant inflatable structure that allows natural light to come through and create stunning colors. Organizations around the Palouse will attend to provide booths, such as the petting zoo by the Whitman County Humane Society.

“Friday is aimed at college students and Saturday is more a family/community event,” said Special Events Programmer Logan Webbenhurst. “We want Springfest to be a celebration for the community as a whole.”

However, the highlight of the event will be the concert featuring Snoop Dogg, who will be performing in Beasley Coliseum at the end of the weekend.

The performance will appeal to many different students, said Nicole Kindle, another volunteer and WSU senior. “People will want to see him because they know his songs.”

Back in October, SEB sent out a survey asking WSU students who they would most want to see this year. The overwhelming winner was Snoop Dogg. In past years, Springfest has featured Ludacris, 3OH!3 and Mac Miller.

“My favorite part is just choosing the artist for the big concert,” Webbenhurst said. “It gives me the opportunity to bring what the students want. We’ve never brought in someone as big as Snoop Dogg.”

As a reminder, Cerrillo says that students must have their student IDs to enter the concert with a student ticket. Webbenhurst said there is no meet and greet, but he wants the students to have fun.

“It’s about giving students the experience they probably wouldn’t have if they weren’t a part of the WSU community,” Cerrillo said. “A first class experience without the first class price.”

Springfest will be on April 25 from 5-11 p.m. and April 26 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. The carnival and outdoor music will be located on Northeast Wilson Road by Grimes Way Playfield. The concert will be on April 26 at 8 p.m. in Beasley Coliseum.