Track shatters record books in Cougar Indoor

Emmanuel Wells Jr. runs third fastest 60-meter dash in program history

Redshirt+junior+Breya+Wynne+runs+in+the+800+meter+at+the+WSU+Indoor+on+Jan.+19+in+the+Indoor+Practice+Facility%2C+

Redshirt junior Breya Wynne runs in the 800 meter at the WSU Indoor on Jan. 19 in the Indoor Practice Facility,

ABBY LINNENKOHL | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

ABBY LINNENKOHL | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

ABBY LINNENKOHL | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

JOHN SPELLMAN, Evergreen reporter

WSU track and field had an impressive showing in its second home indoor meet of the season this weekend.

The team won an impressive 11 events in the Cougar Indoor over the course of Friday and Saturday.

“We are in that time of year where every meet is super important,” said Wayne Phipps, director of cross country and track and field, “and the competition is getting stronger and stronger.”

Junior Emmanuel Wells Jr., who has taken Pullman by storm in his first year with the Cougars, continued to lead the men’s team. Wells set a WSU Indoor record in the 60-meter dash two weeks ago with a time of 6.69 seconds, and Saturday he improved that time to smash more school records.

Wells ran a 6.65 to set a new Indoor Practice Facility and Cougar Indoor record. His time is tied for the third fastest in school history with former Cougar and Olympian Anson Henry. It was also the 12th fastest in the nation.

Junior Troy Gingerich and senior Christapherson Grant set new personal records in their respective events as well. Gingerich won the men’s pole vault with an impressive mark of 5 meters, and Grant claimed the men’s 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.02.

Senior Robby Flores took first in the men’s triple jump with a mark of 14.44 meters, and senior Peyton Fredrickson capped off the men’s five event wins with a victory in the high jump.

Fredrickson claimed first place in the event with a height just over 7 feet. Phipps said he was excited to see Fredrickson reach that mark.

“I really like the milestones,” Phipps said, “and to see [Fredrickson] have that goal for probably all of his life since he started high-jumping, and certainly the four years he has been here, and to see him go over 7 feet really stuck out to me.”

The women’s team saw plenty of success as well, leading the way with six event victories.

Freshman Suzy Pace set a personal record in the high jump, as she won the event with a jump of 1.74 meters.

Senior Regyn Gaffney continued the Cougars success in the 60-meter dash when she took home first place on the women’s side with a run of 7.55 seconds. Freshman Charisma Taylor finished right behind Gaffney in second place.

Taylor continued her impressive start to the season with a victory in the women’s 60-meter hurdles at 8.48 seconds. Sophomore Samantha King-Shaw claimed the women’s 5000-meter run with a time of 18:17.02.

The Cougars were able to get two more wins in field events. Redshirt junior Aoife Martin grabbed first in the women’s weight throw and senior Chrisshnay Brown earned a victory in the women’s shot put.

WSU now turns its attention to the Husky Classic in Seattle and the Don Kirby Elite in Albuquerque, New Mexico next weekend.

JOHN SPELLMAN, Evergreen reporter

John Spellman is a freshman broadcast news and sports management major from Burbank, Calif., He was escorted out of Pac-12 media day after meeting Mike...