Pullman winery inspected

Informant tipped WSGC agents off to alleged illegal activity

Pullman winery inspected

A sign advertising the entrance to the local winery stands among snow Thursday outside Merry Cellars Winery.

BONNIE JAMES | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

BONNIE JAMES | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

BONNIE JAMES | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

CARMEN JARAMILLO, Evergreen reporter

Pullman winery Merry Cellars is under investigation for alleged illegal gambling after a craps table and other gambling instruments were seized Jan. 28 by Washington State Gambling Commission (WSGC) agents.

The presence of potential illegal gambling at a Pullman winery was first reported to the WSGC by a confidential informant on Jan. 6, according to court documents.

This information was relayed to Sgt. Tom Stensatter of the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board (WSLCB), who noted that only one winery exists in Pullman, Merry Cellars Winery, and it had not been inspected by WSLCB agents since 2015, according to the documents.

The unnamed informant is “well-known” by agents at WSGC and has “previously provided accurate information on criminal activity,” according to the documents.

On Jan. 16, Stensatter conducted an inspection of the Merry Cellars property at 1300 NE Henley Court, according to the documents.

During the inspection, Stensatter said he, along with another WSLCB agent, observed a craps table and gambling chips in a non-public area of the winery, according to the documents.

Merry Cellars Winery possesses no license or permit to operate gambling on its premises, according to the documents.

When WSGC agents returned on Jan. 28 to execute a search warrant on the property, they seized a craps table, dice, chips and $14 in cash, according to the documents.

Documents were obtained by KREM 2 News and provided to The Daily Evergreen.

CARMEN JARAMILLO, Evergreen reporter

Carmen is a senior majoring in multimedia journalism and political science from Port Townsend, Washington