Sun Devils scorch Cougs in Beasley

WSU shot an abysmal 32 percent from field, scored 18 points to increase its losing streak to seven games

Sun Devils scorch Cougs in Beasley

Junior forward Borislava Hristova wins a jump ball against ASU senior forward Kianna Ibis on Thursday night at Beasley Coliseum.

JACK LEWIS-CLARKE | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

JACK LEWIS-CLARKE | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

JACK LEWIS-CLARKE | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

JOHN SPELLMAN, Evergreen reporter

WSU women’s basketball fell to No. 20 Arizona State 61-46 on Thursday night in Beasley Coliseum after leading at halftime.

The defeat gave the Cougars (7-16, 2-10) their seventh straight as the Sun Devils (16-6, 7-4) spoiled the annual Wave Pink game.

“We couldn’t muster up any points from anybody,” Head Coach Kamie Ethridge said, “and we obviously couldn’t keep with Arizona State who I thought got better as the game went on.”

The Cougars got off to a quick start in the first quarter to take an early 8-2 lead as the WSU defense stifled the Sun Devils’ offense.

The Sun Devils were able to finally make some shots to put them back into the game, but the Cougars were still able to take a 14-11 lead at the end of the first quarter.

The second quarter was just as even as the teams kept trading blows. The majority of the quarter was dominated by ASU, but Ethridge’s team showed no quit as they came back. This was highlighted by a three-pointer from freshman guard Michaela Jones to give WSU a 28-27 halftime lead.

Unfortunately for WSU, the Sun Devils were able to find their offensive touch in the third quarter. ASU dominated play beyond the three-point line and in the paint to extend its lead to as many as 14.

Going into the fourth quarter, Ethridge knew her team would have to make some adjustments as they were outscored 21-9 in the third.

The Sun Devils continued their second-half dominance on the Cougars, limiting WSU to only nine points again in the fourth quarter to claim victory.

ASU senior forward Kianna Ibis dominated scoring 22 points and grabbing eight rebounds and junior guard Robbi Ryan added 13 points.

On the WSU side, redshirt junior forward Borislava Hristova led the Cougars with 11 points and senior center Maria Kostourkova finished with nine. The Cougars shot 32 percent from the field in the game and 22 percent from the three-point line.

The Cougars now turn their attention to Arizona who they will host noon Saturday at Beasley Coliseum. The game can also be seen live on Pac-12 Networks.

JOHN SPELLMAN, Evergreen reporter

John Spellman is a freshman broadcast news and sports management major from Burbank, Calif., He was escorted out of Pac-12 media day after meeting Mike...