Franks receives conference, national recognition for Cougars sweep in Arizona

Senior forward earns Pac-12 Player of the Week honors after scoring 65 points on two-game road trip

Senior forward Robert Franks stares at a USC player as he waits for the player to throw the ball in during a game against USC on Feb. 2 at Beasley Coliseum.

DYLAN GREENE, Evergreen deputy sports editor

Senior forward Robert Franks has been named the Pac-12 Player of the Week and the NCAA.com National Player of the Week.

Franks receives the accolades after averaging 32.5 points and 11 rebounds during the Cougars two-game road trip to Arizona this past week. He tied a career high in points with 34 and tallied 13 rebounds, four blocks and four steals in a 91-70 win over Arizona State on Thursday.

Against Arizona on Saturday, Franks scored 31 points and grabbed eight rebounds to lead WSU to a 69-55 victory over the Wildcats for the first time since 2010.

This was the Cougars’ first Pac-12 weekend sweep since 2011 and their first at the Arizona schools since 2006-07.

Franks is the first WSU player since Josh Hawkinson in 2015 to receive the conference player of the week award.

Franks is averaging 22.6 points per contest this season, which leads the Pac-12 and is 15th-best in the nation.

Dylan Greene is a journalism and media production major from Stanwood. He started as the football beat reporter in the fall of 2017 and midway through...