Three-vehicle crash sends passengers to hospital

Sheriff says no injuries threatened lives of passengers; one allegedly cited with causing the accident

The Evergreen works to provide the best information about recent crime and court updates in the Pullman area.

OLIVER MCKENNA | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

OLIVER MCKENNA | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

OLIVER MCKENNA | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

ELAYNE RODRIGUEZ, Evergreen reporter

A three-vehicle collision injured nine people on U.S. Highway 195, about four miles north of Pullman, around 1 p.m. on Sunday.

Spokane resident Shawn Whisman was driving a van south on Highway 195 and drove into oncoming traffic, Whitman County Sheriff Brett Myers said.

Whisman collided with a minivan, injuring five Colfax residents, including the driver, Brent Webster, 36, and passengers Crystal Webster, 37, and three young girls, according to a press release from the Whitman County Sheriff Office.

A third vehicle with two other people from Spokane driving northbound collided with Webster’s minivan. Whisman’s two passengers were also injured, Myers said.

He said the injured were transported to a medical center in Moscow, Pullman Regional Hospital and the Whitman Hospital and Medical Center.

“None of the injuries were life-threatening,” Myers said.

He said Whitman County Fire District 11 of Albion and Colfax, District 12 of Pullman emergency crews, and firefighters from the City of Pullman Fire Department soon after responded to the collision.

Myers said the collision happened around milepost 30, near Old Albion Road.

The crash closed the highway, and Whisman has been cited for allegedly causing the crash, according to the press release.

ELAYNE RODRIGUEZ, Evergreen reporter

Elayne is a senior strategic communication major from Moses Lake, Washington.