Athlete of the Week: Borislava Hristova

Redshirt junior’s break out performance against Arizona leads to honor

JACK LEWIS-CLARKE | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Junior forward Borislava Hristova looks to pass the ball as an Oregon State player defends her Jan. 27 at Beasley Coliseum.

JOHN SPELLMAN, Evergreen reporter

Redshirt junior forward Borislava Hristova is this week’s Evergreen Athlete of the Week after a stellar performance against Arizona on Saturday.

Head Coach Kamie Ethridge needed a big performance from her star forward to get the Cougars back in the win column and end a seven-game losing streak.

Hristova did exactly that as she had one of the best games of her collegiate career, scoring 37 points and grabbing six rebounds to lead WSU to a 90-88 victory over the Wildcats.

Hristova is currently third in the Pac-12 in scoring, averaging 21 points per game and trailing only two consensus All-Americans.

Hristova hails from Varna, Bulgaria. While she may be far from home, that does not stop her from succeeding on the court and in the classroom where she is a sports management major.

During her freshman year, Hristova made a name for herself by being selected to the All-Pac-12 team and the Pac-12 All-Freshman team.

Hristova was named Pac-12 Freshman of the Week three times that season and set the WSU freshman scoring record with 490 points. She also led the team in scoring with 16.3 points per game.

Unfortunately, her sophomore season was cut short nine games into the season after a foot injury against Maryland. However, she was granted a medical redshirt and an extra year of eligibility.

Hristova returned to her dominant form in her redshirt-sophomore season as she took the conference by storm, averaging 17.8 points per game to lead the team. She was also named to the All-Pac-12 team for the second time.

Hristova looks to continue leading the Cougars as they head into the final stretch of their conference season and gear up for the Pac-12 Tournament in early March.