City plans to build new senior center

Pullman officials bought six acres of land for $3.5 million; construction to start in May

City plans to build new senior center

Recreation Superintendent Kurt Dahmen discusses the necessary renovations and costs associated with opening the new Pullman recreation and senior center Tuesday at the Pullman School District office.

JACQUI THOMASSON | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

JACQUI THOMASSON | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

JACQUI THOMASSON | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

CAMERON SHEPPARD, Evergreen reporter

The city of Pullman will build a new recreation center and senior center, and construction will start in late May, said Kurt Dahmen, recreation superintendent for the city of Pullman.

Dahmen said the city purchased six acres of land, including two buildings, for $3.5 million. Construction and renovation within the buildings will cost $5.5 million.

He said funding for the project will come from a bond approved by voters last February.

“This is the next step for Pullman to grow and extend its programs,” Dahmen said.

The new recreation center will include a main office and lobby, a preschool classroom, art and activity room, two fitness rooms and a full-size gymnasium with a walking track above, he said.

Dahmen said the recreation center will have something for people of all ages.

The new recreation and senior center will be built at 190 SE Crestview St., the site of the old Calvary Christian Center.

“[The project] is exciting for the growth of Pullman,” said Senior Program Coordinator Monica LeCaire, “We will be better suited to meet the needs of seniors in the new facility.”

Dahmen said the new senior center will include an activity room, card tables, a small library and a dining area.

A meal service provided by the Pullman Community Council on Aging on Mondays and Fridays will be served at the new senior center after its opening.

LeCaire said the facility will help draw more people in as membership continues to grow. She said she plans to partner with agencies around the Palouse to offer more activities for both younger and older generations.

Dahmen said the plan is to finish construction by late fall this year.

He hopes the new buildings will be a true center of recreation for the community, Dahmen said.