Campus library adds reference desk

Desk will assist students in research-related services, collaboration

STEPHEN MURNANE | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

Reference and Instruction Librarian Erin Hvizdak says they added a new desk Thursday afternoon in the Terrell Library.

SANDY VO, Evergreen reporter

Holland & Terrell Library decided to implement a new reference desk in hopes of making it more accessible for WSU students and faculty.

Erin Hvizdak, reference instruction librarian, said the reference desk is a public walk-in service for students, staff and faculty to get research help.

“We can help with anything research-related, anything from evaluating resources to refining topics,” Hvizdak said.

They changed the furniture because the old reference desk was outdated and could not function well, she said.

“It is really hard to work with other students because there was not a good place for us to sit and collaborate with students on their research,” Hvizdak said. “With the new desk, there’s more space [and] the desk will also be able to raise and lower for better accessibility for whatever your needs are.”

She said she hopes the new reference desk will attract and benefit WSU students and faculty more.

“With our old desk, it was hard to tell what the purpose of it was.” Hvizdak said. “It’s just a big metal desk. With [the new] desk, it’ll be more inviting and more obvious that it is there to help the students.”

She said they have been planning to implement a new desk for the past three years. A project management interior designer gave them choices in terms of what desk they need.

“It’s a wider push to modernize the University,” Hvizdak said.