Gaels sweep Cougs in first series of season

WSU drops final two contests of four-game road trip to Saint Mary’s on Sunday

Sophomore outfielder Danny Sinatro holds the follow-through on is swing as he watches the ball during the game against Saint Mary’s on March 8, 2018 at Bailey-Brayton Field.

KATIE ARCHER, Evergreen reporter

Saint Mary’s swept WSU baseball team in a four-game series over the weekend in Moraga, California.

The Cougars (0-4) finished the series third game Sunday morning after play was suspended Saturday night due to darkness. The Gaels (4-0) led 6-2 when play was stopped in the eighth inning and Saint Mary’s ended up winning the game 6-3. The Cougars dropped the series finale 9-1 Sunday afternoon.

WSU opened the eighth inning of the third game with back to back singles from junior first baseman Dillon Plew and junior center fielder Danny Sinatro, but the team was unable to bring them home.

In the top of the ninth, WSU had the bases loaded with one out and Plew up to bat. Saint Mary’s walked him and the Cougars scored for the last time as WSU lost 6-3.

Heading into the series finale, the Cougars were looking for their first win to prevent the Gaels’ sweep.

In the first and second inning, neither team scored a run and the Cougars remained scoreless in the third. Saint Mary’s junior left fielder Joe Vranesh connected for an RBI single to score the first run of the game in the bottom of the third. Gaels junior designated hitter Kevin Milam doubled to score Vranesh from first and give Saint Mary’s a 2-0 lead.

Sinatro led off for the Cougars in the fourth inning and sent the ball to the outfield between the first and second baseman for WSU’s first hit of the game. With two outs, the Cougars had runners at the corners and could not bring them home.

Both teams failed to score any runs in the fourth and fifth inning as the score remained 2-0 Saint Mary’s.

In the sixth inning, sophomore outfielder Collin Montez ripped a ball to the outfield for a sacrifice fly and scored Sinatro to put the Cougars on the board.

Starting sophomore right-handed pitcher Hayden Rosenkrantz followed that up by getting three outs in six pitches as the Cougars trailed 2-1 after six innings.

Rosenkrantz pitched six innings striking out a career high five batters and allowed six hits and two runs.

The Gaels’ offense exploded in the seventh inning as the team scored six runs to take a commanding 8-1 lead.

Saint Mary’s tacked on another run in the eighth inning on an RBI single and the Gaels held WSU scoreless for the rest of the game to secure a 9-1 victory.

The Cougars were only able to muster two hits in the series finale. Saint Mary’s outscored WSU 37-13 in the four-game series.

WSU will look to pickup its first win of the season 6 p.m. Thursday when they travel to California to face Santa Clara for a four-game series.