Cougar swim posts handful of lifetime bests Friday at Pac-12 Championships

PAIGE CAMPBELL | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Freshman swimmer Keiana Fountaine swims 100 fly in meet against Utah Feb. 16 in Gibb Pool. Fountaine finished in 5th with a time of 59.56.

SIGMUND SEROKA, Evergreen reporter

Cougar swimming completed their third day of competition at the Pac-12 Championships on Friday. WSU collected four more lifetime-bests and two season-bests.

Senior Linnea Lindberg posted a preliminary time of 1:02.28 in the 100-yard breaststroke which earned her a chance to swim again in the finals. She would finish with an 18th place time of 1:01.85.

Alongside Lindberg was her sophomore teammate Mackenzie Duarte in 22nd place with a time of 1:02.21.

Lindberg would also join sophomore Taylor McCoy and freshmen Emily Barrier and Keiana Fountaine on the 400-yard medley relay team. The team would post their third fastest time this season at 3:46.42.

Earning the four lifetime-bests for the Cougars were freshmen Sophia Balmaceda and Payton Bokowy and sophomores Chloe Larson and Maia Petrides.

The first of them was earned by Balmaceda in the 100-yard butterfly with a 55.33.

Larson also earned a lifetime-best in the event with a time of 56.52. In the 200-yard freestyle, Bokowy and Petrides each earned lifetime-bests.

Freshman Lauren Burckel would keep up her impressive swimming from earlier this season with a 1:03.26 in the 100-yard breaststroke.

The Cougars compete in the final day of the Pac-12 Championships starting at 10:30 a.m. Saturday in Federal Way, Washington.