Cougs fall to Stanford

WSU’s poor offensive attack cause Cardinal to dominate in Beasley Coliseum

Freshman+guard+Michaela+Jones+dribbles+the+ball+during+the+game+against+Stanford+on+Friday+night+at+Beasley+Coliseum.+

JACK LEWIS-CLARKE | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

Freshman guard Michaela Jones dribbles the ball during the game against Stanford on Friday night at Beasley Coliseum.

KATIE ARCHER, Evergreen reporter

WSU women’s basketball fell 67-42 to No. 7 Stanford Friday night in Beasley Coliseum.

After a minute into the game, Stanford (24-4, 14-3) scored first on a free throw to take a 1-0 lead. Freshman forward Ula Motuga hit a three to put the Cougars (9-19, 4-13) ahead and on the board.

The score was tied at nine before the Cardinal went on a 10-point run. Senior guard Alexys Swedlund hit a two to end the run. The first quarter ended with a 23-12 Cardinal lead.

Head coach Kamie Ethridge said junior guard Chanelle Molina is often the key to the game, and it’s a lot to ask of her every night.

“I think the weight of the world is on her,” Ethridge said, “because we basically only have one ballhandler on the court, and she’s it.”

In the second quarter, the score stayed the same for over two minutes until Stanford scored. Stanford led 34-19 at halftime.

The Cougars did not have a player in double digits for scoring at halftime. Stanford senior forward Alanna Smith had 16 points and six rebounds.

“We were a bit lost offensively, which is on everyone,”Motuga said.

During the third quarter, Stanford scored two field goals to extend its lead to 19 points before WSU scored. The Cardinal out-scored the Cougars 21-13 and led 55-32 at the end of the third quarter.

Stanford opened the fourth quarter on a six-point run before redshirt junior forward Borislava Hristova scored for WSU. Redshirt freshman guard Celena Molina scored the last basket for the Cougars as time expired.

The younger players saw a lot of minutes during the game as WSU put up 16 points from the bench.

Ethridge said she liked what she got from the bench and the minutes the freshmen got.

“It might not look like it’s paying off, but it will pay off in the future,” Ethridge said.

Motuga led the team with 10 points and three rebounds followed by Chanelle Molina who finished with seven points, six rebounds and three assists.

Motuga was the only player on WSU to score in the double digits. Hristova, who averages 20.2 points per game, scored a season-low of five points.

“I think there’s a lot to learn from this particular game,” Motuga said, “if we want to continue down the road in terms of Pac-12 play.”

The Cougars will face Cal at noon on Sunday in Beasley Coliseum in their regular season finale.