The Daily Evergreen

Fire severely damages duplex, displaces seven people

Stacey+Smith-Colon+searches+through+recovered+belongings+for+her+children%27s+clothing+Wednesday+evening+after+the+fire+in+the+garage+of+the+damaged+duplex.
Back to Article
Back to Article

Fire severely damages duplex, displaces seven people

Stacey Smith-Colon searches through recovered belongings for her children's clothing Wednesday evening after the fire in the garage of the damaged duplex.

Stacey Smith-Colon searches through recovered belongings for her children's clothing Wednesday evening after the fire in the garage of the damaged duplex.

Stacey Smith-Colon searches through recovered belongings for her children's clothing Wednesday evening after the fire in the garage of the damaged duplex.

Stacey Smith-Colon searches through recovered belongings for her children's clothing Wednesday evening after the fire in the garage of the damaged duplex.

CODY COTTIER and MADISON JACKSON

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






A fire destroyed the upper level and damaged the lower level of a duplex on Sunrise Drive on Wednesday afternoon, displacing seven residents, several dogs and cats, and a goldfish, according to the news release from the Pullman Fire Department.

Deputy Fire Marshal Tony Nuttman determined the fire was started by a discarded cigarette on the outside deck, which a resident had placed in a recycle bin filled with cardboard and paper, according to the release. He ruled the fire accidental.

Neighbors alerted the residents of the lower unit, and all escaped unharmed, according to the release. Firefighters responded at about 4:30 p.m. and found flames and smoke coming from the roof. They poured water on a nearby tree to prevent the fire from spreading.

One of the downstairs residents, Stacey Smith-Colon, is an adviser in the Carson College of Business. Her husband, Ricardo Colon, currently works at AT&T. Two of their children, a 15-year-old and a 10-year-old, were home at the time of the fire with their two cats and dog. The oldest called their mother, and Smith-Colon left work to help move things out of the house.

At about 9:30 p.m., the parents searched through the bags they packed while evacuating their house, looking for clothes and shoes for their children.

“Nothing can really prepare you for this,” Colon, a former firefighter, said. He and Smith-Colon said they knew the responding firefighters and had faith in their abilities.

Smith-Colon said she believes the upstairs residents are WSU students. At least two people lived upstairs with three dogs and a goldfish, according to the release. Crews found a Great Dane, in apparent distress, on the upper deck. They used a ladder to rescue the dog and returned it to its owner.

The upper floor sustained major damage from fire, smoke and water, and could not be reoccupied, according to the release. The bottom floor sustained only water damage but is condemned, Smith-Colon said. There is not yet a damage estimate.

When the fire department offered to call the American Red Cross to provide shelter for the residents, they said they had places to stay, according to the release. Neighbors are taking in the downstairs family, who have two months left on their lease.

“Right now, we’re homeless,” Smith-Colon said.

Fire Chief Mike Heston noted in the release that this fire shows the importance of renters insurance.

About the Writers
CODY COTTIER, Evergreen reporter

Cody Cottier is a senior communication and philosophy double major from Chimacum.

MADISON JACKSON, Evergreen editor-in-chief

Madison Jackson is a junior English major from Puyallup. During her time at the Evergreen, she has served as copy editor, opinion editor and managing editor.

Leave a Comment

Comments are closed.

Navigate Left
  • Fire severely damages duplex, displaces seven people

    Features

    You Know Her: Six Pullman women tell their abortion stories

  • Fire severely damages duplex, displaces seven people

    Local

    Pullman Islamic Center will hold open house, dinner

  • Fire severely damages duplex, displaces seven people

    Local

    WSU, UI to host program on pollinators

  • Fire severely damages duplex, displaces seven people

    Local

    Cougs Feeding Cougs short funding

  • Fire severely damages duplex, displaces seven people

    Crime

    New law will require sexual assault kits to be tested faster

  • Fire severely damages duplex, displaces seven people

    Administration

    Final provost applicant talks promotion of nontraditional students, research

  • Fire severely damages duplex, displaces seven people

    Crime

    Three WSU athletes arrested on felony vandalism charges

  • Fire severely damages duplex, displaces seven people

    Local

    Club donates funds for Mary’s Park

  • Fire severely damages duplex, displaces seven people

    Local

    Family of WSU graduate remembers son, brother with $50,000 scholarship

  • Fire severely damages duplex, displaces seven people

    Local

    Lack of resources prompted research of WSU buildings

Navigate Right

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






Every student. Every story. Every day.
Fire severely damages duplex, displaces seven people