Women in STEM hosts week of events

Second annual WiSTEM free for all students, to be livestreamed

Sandi+Brabb+says+the+events+will+encourage+female+STEM+students+to+pursue+these+fields+more.+

COURTESY OF PIXABAY

Sandi Brabb says the events will encourage female STEM students to pursue these fields more.

NAPHTALI CALLES, Evergreen reporter

Women in STEM fields will have the chance to engage in networking opportunities this week.

WSU Week of Women in STEM (WiSTEM) is free for all students, said Sandi Brabb, director of career services for the Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture. Attendees are required to register for the “Dinner with a Scientist/Engineer” event 6-8 p.m. Tuesday at the Chinook Student Center, Room 150. They also must sign up for the “Salary Negotiation Workshop” happening from noon to 1 p.m. Wednesday at The Spark: Academic Innovation Hub, Room 233.

“This week of events began as a grassroots program in 2017, comprised of staff, faculty and students who rallied around the common theme of women in the science, technology, engineering and math fields being underrepresented,” Brabb said.

This is the second year for WiSTEM. All WSU campuses will host its own week of events, which will all be livestreamed.

“The main difference of this week is that last year, this event was very Pullman-centric,” Brabb said.

Students can attend panel discussions with speakers from different departments, she said. Speakers include Maureen Schmitter-Edgecombe, professor in the psychology department; Diane Cook, regents professor at the electrical engineering and computer science school; and Roschelle Fritz, an assistant professor at the nursing college.

Corrie Wilder, marketing and communications director at the Edward R. Murrow College of Communication, said this week is focused on inspiring female students in the STEM field by providing events that will mentor them, as well as help them network with alumni who are successful in their fields.

“This week was designed to help women in STEM gain the confidence they need to excel as they move forward in their careers,” Wilder said.

WiSTEM has grown since its first year after it gained sponsorships from Microsoft and Google, Brabb said. Through the sponsorships, two students are eligible to win a travel award to the Hopper X1 Seattle conference.