Cougars dominate competition in Spokane

WSU claims 13 event victories in Sam Adams Invitational

Cougars dominate competition in Spokane

Freshman Matthew Howard explodes out of the blocks in the 400 meter dash during the WSU Indoor on Jan. 19 at the Indoor Practice Facility.  Howard finished fourth with a time of 52.31 in the event.

Freshman Matthew Howard explodes out of the blocks in the 400 meter dash during the WSU Indoor on Jan. 19 at the Indoor Practice Facility. Howard finished fourth with a time of 52.31 in the event.

ABIGAIL LINNENKOHL | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

KATIE ARCHER, Evergreen reporter

WSU track and field continued its success to start the outdoor season claiming 13 event victories Thursday and Friday at the Sam Adams Invitational in Spokane, Washington.

In the women’s 100-meter dash, WSU took home the top five spots with senior Regyn Gaffney leading the way with a time of 11.72 seconds.

Senior Lindsey Schauble set a personal record and secured a first place finish in the women’s 100-meter hurdles with a time of 14.90 seconds.

In the women’s high jump, WSU fell short of first but took second through fifth place. Losing the tie breaker, freshman Suzy Pace finished in second after clearing 1.69 meters.

For the second consecutive outdoor meet in women’s pole vault, redshirt junior Molly Scharmann and sophomore Emily Coombs claimed first and second.

Scharmann’s mark of 4.09 meters broke a five year Sam Adams Invitational record.

Senior Chrisshnay Brown brought home victories in the women’s shot put.

In the men’s 100-meter dash, WSU secured the top two spots. Senior Ja’Maun Charles finished first posting a time of 10.63 seconds and senior Ethan Gardner claimed second at 10.87 seconds.

The Cougars took the top three spots in the men’s 400 meter with sophomore Jake Ulrich capturing first place with a time of 47.44 seconds.

WSU had three top five finishers in the men’s 110-meter hurdles. Junior Nick Johnson came in first, freshman Joseph Heitman finished second and senior Ray Littles captured fourth.

Heitman also won the men’s long jump with a mark of 6.65 meters.

In the men’s 4×100-meter relay, WSU placed first setting a new meet record with a time of 40.47 seconds. The women also took first in the 4×100 meter relay.

In the men’s high jump, WSU recorded four top five finishes. Senior Peyton Fredrickson took first clearing 2.06 meters.

Redshirt senior Brock Eager crushed the competition in the men’s hammer throw to claim first with a toss of 68.56 meters.

The Cougars will compete in three different meets this week in California: the San Francisco State Distance Carnival, the Stanford Invitational and UCLA Legends Invitational.