Stanford rallies to down Cougs

Cardinal score three runs in final four innings to pull away

Then-junior left-handed pitcher AJ Block throws a pitch during the game against Stanford on March 30, 2019, at Bailey-Brayton Field.

ISAAC SEMMLER, Evergreen reporter

Cougar baseball lost their 11th straight game Saturday in Pullman as they fell to No. 2 Stanford 8-5 despite scoring five runs in the first three innings.

Junior left-handed pitcher AJ Block started for the Cougars (6-19, 0-5) and headed into the game with an 0-3 record and an ERA just over five but he made quick work in the first inning to keep Stanford off the board.

Senior catcher Rob Teel put the Cougs on top in the bottom of the first with an RBI double to score junior outfielder Danny Sinatro.

The Cardinal (17-3, 5-0) offense answered right back in the second inning with a two-run home run to take a 2-1 lead.  

WSU was able to respond in the bottom of the second with an RBI single from freshman infielder Kodie Kolden to tie the game at 2-2.

In the third inning, the Cougar offense exploded as sophomore outfielder Collin Montez, sophomore infielder Garrett Gouldsmith and freshman outfielder Koby Blunt all hit RBI singles to bring home three runs and give WSU a 5-2 lead. 

Through four, Block surprisingly had six strikeouts to his name against one of the best teams in the nation.

Block would go 5 2/3 innings before being pulled after allowing the Cardinal to load the bases and score a run to pull within two. Redshirt junior right-handed pitcher Davis Baillie came in just needing one out but a throwing error would tie the game up a 5-5 in the sixth inning.

Stanford would load the bases again in the eighth with one out and knock in a pair of runs to take a 7-5 lead.

The Cardinal added another run in the final inning to secure the win.

The Cougars will look to avoid being swept in the final game of the series 12:05 p.m. Sunday at Bailey-Brayton Field.