Cardinal crush Cougs by 12 runs in series finale

WSU strikes first but Stanford uses eight run inning to pull away

Freshman right-handed pitcher Trevor Ichimura throws a pitch during the game against Stanford on Sunday at Bailey-Brayton Field.

ABBY LINNENKOHL | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

ABBY LINNENKOHL | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

ABBY LINNENKOHL | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

ISAAC SEMMLER, Evergreen reporter

No. 2 Stanford clobbered WSU baseball 14-2 Sunday in Pullman to hand the team its 12th straight defeat.

The Cougars (6-20, 0-6) had a 1-0 lead until the top of the third inning when Stanford blew the game wide open, scoring eight runs and shocking the 751 fans at Bailey-Brayton Field.

Head Coach Marty Lees said the overall performance of this year’s team hasn’t been great, and they need to get much better.

“We just got to play better baseball,” Lees said. “We’ve had some very good moments this season, but there is just not enough consistency.”

The Cardinal (18-3, 6-0) swept the Cougars in the three-game series, outscoring them 29-8. Despite the blowout loss, WSU was only outhit 17-12 in the game.

Lees said the Cougars aren’t struggling to get runners on base, but they are having a hard time bringing them home.

“You know every game we’re getting around nine to 12 hits but our run production just isn’t there and that needs to change,” he said.

Sophomore right-handed pitcher Hayden Rosenkrantz started for WSU and made quick work of the Cardinal in the top of the first inning to help the Cougars build some early momentum.

In the bottom of the inning, two Cougars reached base, and senior infielder Andres Alvarez hit a sacrifice bunt to score junior infielder Dillon Plew.

WSU held the 1-0 lead and Rosenkrantz continued to look solid until the third inning when he gave up seven hits and six runs. He was pulled after only 2 2/3 innings of work and replaced with sophomore left-handed pitcher Bryce Moyle.

Unfortunately, Moyle couldn’t stop the bleeding as the Cardinal hit a two-run homer and took an 8-1 lead.

Moyle would settle down in the fourth inning, but the WSU offense couldn’t get anything going. Stanford junior left-handed pitcher Erik Miller held the Cougars’ bats in check after a rocky start to the game. He pitched six innings and surrendered six hits and only one run.

The Cougars’ pitchers continued to struggle, giving up one run each in the sixth and eighth and three in the seventh. Stanford had a 13-1 lead entering the final inning.

Freshman right-handed pitcher Trent Sellers came in to start the ninth. He walked three batters and threw a wild pitch and was pulled after recording just one out. The Cardinal would eventually push another run across on a fly out to take a 14-1 advantage.

WSU loaded the bases in the bottom of the ninth with no outs, but would only tack on one run when sophomore outfielder Collin Montez grounded into a double play to score junior outfielder Danny Sinatro.

The Cougars will look to get back on track 5:05 p.m. Tuesday when Gonzaga visits Bailey-Brayton Field for a single game.

ISAAC SEMMLER, Evergreen reporter

Isaac is a freshman sports management major with a minor in communication. He is from Tacoma, Washington.