Cougs fall to rival Huskies in dual meet

Both squads lose to UW in Seattle on Saturday

Then-junior+Christapherson+Grant%2C+left%2C+and+then-sophomore+Nick+Johnson+prepare+to+jump+over+hurdles+during+the+WSU-UW+Dual+meet+on+April+28%2C+2018+at+Mooberry+Track.+

COURTESY OF WSU ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS

Then-junior Christapherson Grant, left, and then-sophomore Nick Johnson prepare to jump over hurdles during the WSU-UW Dual meet on April 28, 2018 at Mooberry Track.

SIGMUND SEROKA, Evergreen reporter

WSU track and field battled rival UW in a dual meet Saturday in Seattle and were unable to take down the Huskies.

The UW women defeated the WSU women 108 points to 55 and the Huskies men beat the Cougars men 103 to 60 to secure the dual meet victory.

Despite the loss, the Cougars picked up 11 event victories on the day.

Senior Chrisshnay Brown led the way on the women’s side, placing first in the shot put with a mark of 14.49 meters.

Freshman Suzy Pace followed up Brown’s performance with a victory in the women’s high jump and senior Regyn Gaffney sprinted to a win in the women’s 100-meter dash with a time of 11.88 seconds.

Redshirt junior Molly Scharmann secured first in the women’s pole vault with a mark of 4.01 meters.

Charisma Taylor continued her impressive freshman campaign claiming the triple jump and freshman Anna Rodgers rounded out the victories for the women’s side earning first in the long jump with a personal record of 5.94 meters.

On the men’s side, junior Emmanuel Wells Jr. clocked a personal record of 10.41 to claim the 100-meter dash and redshirt senior Brock Eager won the hammer throw with a toss of 68.01 meters.

Junior Sam Brixey posted a first-place finish in the men’s 110-meter hurdles with a time of 14.14 while redshirt junior Ryan earned a victory in the men’s 1500-meter with a time of 3:50.37.

Sophomore Mitch Jacobson recorded the fifth and final victory on the men’s side with a personal record 0f 2.11 meters in the high jump.

The Cougars will look to get back on track when they compete in the Pelleur Invitational hosted by Eastern Washington on Friday in Cheney, Washington.