Sanctuary Yoga offers free yoga, specialty smoothies for moms

Main Street Squeeze helps for third time, will make smoothies

Sanctuary Yoga owner Judy Kolde talks about  complimentary classes and brunch meals that  moms can participate in Tuesday at Sanctuary Yoga.

Sanctuary Yoga owner Judy Kolde talks about complimentary classes and brunch meals that moms can participate in Tuesday at Sanctuary Yoga.

LAUREN ELLENBECKER | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

LAUREN ELLENBECKER, Evergreen reporter

Moms have the opportunity to attend free yoga classes and have a complimentary brunch with their child during Mom’s Weekend.

Judy Kolde, owner of Sanctuary Yoga in downtown Pullman, said she expects hundreds of people to attend their free yoga classes throughout the weekend, as well as the main bash on Saturday. This is the sixth year Sanctuary Yoga will host a Mom’s Weekend event.

“It’s a great way to say thank you to the community and celebrate moms,” Kolde said.

The festivities begin at 5:30 p.m. Friday with “Vino and Vinyasa,” where moms can drink a free glass of wine after a yoga class.

The main event will begin at 8 a.m. and lasts until 3 p.m. on Saturday. The event will begin with a free self-serve waffle bar from Main Street Squeeze. The first 50 visitors can receive a free cupcake from Sweetest Crumbs.

Sanctuary will offer complimentary mimosas and flavored prosecco, Kolde said.

There will be hot yoga, barre and yin classes. Yoga classes are free for moms, and their child can get a 15 percent student discount off Sanctuary Yoga packages.

“We’re a healthy lifestyle place and … it’s a great activity to do with your mom, [with] no experience necessary,” Kolde said. “If they just want to shop, that’s okay too.”

Destiny Sternod, owner of Main Street Squeeze, said they will sell specialty smoothies created for Mom’s Weekend, like a blood orange spritzer smoothie. She said they will also sell original acai and avocado toast products.

This is the third year Main Street Squeeze has participated in Mom’s Weekend. Sternod said the store began as a popup and tested recipes during one of Sanctuary Yoga’s bashes.

“Sanctuary offers the chance for small businesses to get out into the public and test things out like I did three years ago,” she said. “It’s a great opportunity for vendors to get started.”

Sanctuary Yoga’s bash will include vendors from the community, such as Sweetest Crumbs, Beautycounter and Rya Ramsay Designs.

Sternod said there will be social media giveaways leading up to the event, and they will end on Saturday. The prizes given away from vendors include gift cards, a three-tier cake and a free necklace.

Kolde said there will be a trunk show where they will rotate clothing brands every hour and offer a promotion. The deals will be updated on their social media.

She said the event is supposed to celebrate moms and show gratitude for them.

It is a good opportunity for students to show their mom where they hang out when they are away from home, Kolde said.

“We call it Sanctuary for a reason, it’s like a home away from home for a lot of students,” Kolde said. “It’s a supportive yoga environment.”

LAUREN ELLENBECKER, Evergreen reporter

Lauren is a junior journalism major from Anchorage, AK. She was the mint editor in fall 2018.