Club creates traditional food market

Other student groups to table, bring cuisine to Reaney Park event

Kai-Yi+Wang%2C+president+of+the+Taiwanese+Student+Association%2C+discusses+the+importance+of+bringing+the+TSA+night+market+to+WSU+on+Monday+afternoon+at+the+CUB.+

Club creates traditional food market

Kai-Yi Wang, president of the Taiwanese Student Association, discusses the importance of bringing the TSA night market to WSU on Monday afternoon at the CUB.

OLIVIA WOLF | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

OLIVIA WOLF | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

OLIVIA WOLF | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

NAPHTALI CALLES, Evergreen reporter

The Taiwanese Student Association (TSA) is hosting its annual night market from noon to 5 p.m. Saturday at Reaney Park.

“Our association began this event at WSU because international students leave their country and sometimes miss the food from home,” TSA President Kai-Yi Wang said.

There is no admission fee for the market, Wang said, and attendees can purchase raffle tickets for 50 cents. The average cost for food is between three and four tickets.

“The night market is basically a bunch of little markets where food is sold,” he said. “In night markets in Taiwan, there are a lot of immigrants from China who needed to find a job … they originated the night markets, and we thought it’d be fun to bring this to Pullman.”

TSA Marketing Chair Jean Hsieh said night markets in Taiwan usually begin at 7 p.m., but they will host it at noon to gain more foot traffic. They are expecting at least 400 people to attend the event.

“Night market originally only had TSA selling their food,” she said. “We decided that it would be fun to have other associations join as well.”

Hsieh said there will be vendors from the Hong Kong, Indonesian, Japanese and Korean student associations. The Chinese Students and Scholars Association will also make an appearance at the market.

“TSA will be selling braised pork rice and bubble tea,” she said. “I know that the Japanese Student Association will be selling Yakisoba.”

Wang said this event is a great way to fuse together different cultures and socialize through food.

He said the majority of attendees are students, but plenty of community members visit as well.

“My first year [at WSU], my English was not very good, and I didn’t have many ways of socially interacting with other students,” Wang said. “This night market makes it easier because sharing food is a great conversation starter.”

All of the food will be homemade by the students from these organizations, Hsieh said.

“Our TSA adviser is from Taiwan and moved here a long time ago, and his child didn’t know a lot about Taiwanese culture,” Wang said. “He brings her and teaches her more about his culture through this event.”

Hsieh said this event will be a great place to find traditional Taiwanese dishes along with food from all over Asia.

“We got funding from places like ASWSU and the International Students’ [Council],” Wang said.

NAPHTALI CALLES, Evergreen reporter

Naphtali, who also goes by "Tali," is a freshman double majoring in public relations and risk and crisis communication from Redmond, WA.