Ducks clobber Cougs in series opener

Oregon scores 11 runs in sixth inning en route to 21-3 blowout over WSU

Freshman+right-handed+pitcher+Brandon+White+winds+up+to+throw+the+ball+in+the+scrimmage+against+Gonzaga+University+on+Oct.+21+at+Bailey-Brayton+Field.+

BENJAMIN MICHAELIS | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Freshman right-handed pitcher Brandon White winds up to throw the ball in the scrimmage against Gonzaga University on Oct. 21 at Bailey-Brayton Field.

KATIE ARCHER, Evergreen reporter

Oregon stomped WSU baseball 21-3 to take the series opener Friday night at Bailey-Brayton Field.

“Obviously, got to play better baseball,” junior center fielder Danny Sinatro said.

The Cougars (7-24, 0-10) opened the game with back to back errors by freshman third baseman Kodie Kolden. Two batters later, Oregon (20-12, 6-4) scored its first run of the game on a walk.

The Ducks loaded the bases twice and WSU did not get an out until the eighth batter. The Cougars trailed 5-0.

Junior first baseman Dillon Plew and Sinatro led off the bottom of the first with back to back singles to the outfield. Senior Andres Alvarez advanced the runners on a sacrifice bunt.

With a full count and two outs, sophomore designated hitter Jack Smith walked and loaded the bases. The Cougars scored their first run when freshman catcher Anthony Notaro walked to score Plew.

The first inning lasted about 45 minutes and WSU trailed 5-1.

In the second inning, Oregon freshman right fielder Tanner Smith led off with a triple to left-center field. WSU got three outs in a row to end the top of the second. WSU did not get the bats going and the score reminded 5-1 after two.

The Ducks scored four runs in the third inning, one in the fourth and 11 in the sixth to take a 21-1 lead.

In the bottom of the eighth, WSU ended its six inning scoring drought. Freshman catcher Bradley Polinsky hit a double to center field for his first career hit and sophomore right fielder Brody Barnum hit a single up the middle to bring him home.

In the bottom of the ninth, junior utility Grant DeLappe got his first career hit. The Cougars scored one more run before the game ended 21-3.

The Ducks outhit the Cougars 19-9 in the game and WSU committed four errors.

Freshman right-handed pitcher Brandon White, who started the game for the Cougars, only pitched two innings and gave up four hits, three walks and three earned runs.

Freshman left-handed pitcher Ky Bush gave up seven runs and nine hits over eight innings of work and freshman right-handed pitcher Trevor Ichimura pitched one inning and surrendered six hits and eight runs.

WSU remains winless in conference play through 10 games.

Sinatro said there a lot of changes the team needs to make. He said they need to field, hit and play better.

“I know it’s here,” Sinatro said. “There’s plenty of talented guys, but we just all got to put it together and get it done.”

The Cougars look to bounce back noon Saturday in the second game of the series at Bailey-Brayton Field.