Cougs compete in final scrimmage before Crimson and Gray game

Offense scores 11 touchdowns, defense forces four turnovers

Redshirt sophomore kicker Blake Mazza attempts to kick a field goal during the scrimmage Saturday at Martin Stadium.

JACOB BERTRAM | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

JACOB BERTRAM | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

JACOB BERTRAM | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

JOHN SPELLMAN, Evergreen reporter

WSU football team took the field at Martin Stadium on Saturday for its last scrimmage before the Crimson and Gray game next week.

Head Coach Mike Leach said the team had good energy in the scrimmage but was inconsistent.

“I thought we were competitive, I thought we were sloppy at times, but we played hard,” Leach said.

With quite a few mother’s in attendance, the energy between the offense and defense was apparent, especially after last week’s scrimmage where the defense imposed their will.

The defense continued their impressive play in the spring with the help of one of the more pleasant surprises of spring camp, redshirt junior defensive back Daniel Isom.

The recent transfer from Iowa Western Community College has turned heads with his dynamic play on defense. Saturday was no different as he made a nice pass breakup in the end zone before picking off redshirt senior quarterback Anthony Gordon in the end zone.

“I’m just trying to understand the defense and doing my job … I just got to make sure I’m helping out the defense,” Isom said.

Despite the interception, Gordon recovered to throw a 60-yard touchdown pass to redshirt junior wide receiver Renard Bell, who capped it off by doing a backflip into the end zone which he failed to land. Gordon struggled early on in the scrimmage and finished 13 for 23 for 203 yards, three total touchdowns and three interceptions.

Gordon’s main counterpart for the starting quarterback job, redshirt senior Trey Tinsley, had a nice day under center. He did not turn the ball over and was able to lead the offense down the field before hitting junior wide receiver Tay Martin for a 2-yard touchdown pass that came on a fourth and goal.

Tinsley also found redshirt sophomore running back Cole Dubots for a 35-yard score on a shovel pass and redshirt sophomore wide receiver Travell Harris for a 15-yard touchdown.

Tinsley went 14 of 24 for 169 yards and three touchdowns.

The quarterback that looked the best on Saturday afternoon was redshirt freshman Cammon Cooper.

“I think that Gordon and Tinsley are still on top … but I thought [Cooper] really took some strides today,” Leach said.

Cooper had a tough start to the day when he was unable to find any success moving the ball downfield. He responded though by arguably having his best showing of the spring.

His first touchdown went to redshirt freshman wide receiver Kassidy Woods on an 28-yard pass. Cooper then found senior wide receiver Dezmon Patmon for a score and followed that up by throwing a 15-yard touchdown pass to redshirt senior wide receiver Easop Winston Jr.

However, Cooper’s nicest play was when he evaded pressure and scrambled to find redshirt senior wide receiver Brandon Arconado for a 24-yard touchdown.

Cooper completed 10 of his 16 passes on the day for 159 yards and four touchdowns.

“I think I finished really well … especially the past couple weeks before the first scrimmage, I started to get in a groove a bit, and been a lot more comfortable of late,” Cooper said.

The Cougar defense also impressed with junior linebacker Dominic Silvels leading the way with a pair of sacks. Redshirt sophomore defensive lineman Dallas Hobbs, redshirt senior defensive lineman Nnamdi Oguayo and redshirt senior safety Skyler Thomas all recorded a sack as well.

The defense forced four turnovers in the game while the offense accounted for 11 total touchdowns.

The team returns to the field Tuesday for their second to last practice before the Crimson and Gray game next Saturday.

JOHN SPELLMAN, Evergreen reporter

John Spellman is a freshman broadcast news and sports management major from Burbank, Calif., He was escorted out of Pac-12 media day after meeting Mike...