Men’s basketball snaps two game winning streak against USC

Freshman forward Jeff Pollard lofts up a shot against the Washington Huskies on Sunday.

The WSU men’s basketball team’s two game win streak was snapped tonight in a blowout from the USC Trojans with a score of 87-64.

The game was never really close, as the Trojans started the game on a 15-4 run to set the tone. USC did not let up there, as the team held a comfortable lead for the rest of the night.

Everything seemed to be falling for the Trojans as they shot 59 percent from the floor in the first half and ended the night at 53 percent.

The interior defense the Cougars have lacked all year proved to be a factor once again, as they gave up easy buckets in the paint and were outrebounded by a margin of seven.

The Trojan big men did whatever it took to protect the rim from WSU as they ended the night with seven blocks, three from sophomore forward Chimezie Metu.

Junior guard Jordan Mclaughlin was a force for the Trojans all night long and seemed to get whatever he wanted whenever he wanted against the WSU defense, ending the night with 16 points, 10 assists and nine rebounds, one board shy of a triple-double.

The Cougars could not seem to stop shooting themselves in the foot, turning the ball over 14 times, which lead to some easy USC scoring opportunities.

Freshman guard Malachi Flynn, who usually is a key piece to the Cougar scoring attack, could not buy a bucket in the Galen Center, ending the night shooting zero for six.

WSU did see some solid production from senior forward Josh Hawkinson. He ended the game with 15 points, seven boards and five assists.

The Cougars will take on No. 3 UCLA Bruins on Saturday headed by a pair of outstanding freshmen, in guard Lonzo Ball and in forward TJ Leaf. The Cougars will wrap up the regular season in the historic Pauley Pavilion, and then prepare for the Pac-12 Tournament.

Reporting by Garrett Gluck