Track and field claims five event wins in Cheney

WSU+track+and+Field+Director+Wayne+Phipps+talks+about+the+team%E2%80%99s+strengths+and+challenges+looking+forward+on+March+9+at+Mooberry+Track.+

STEPHEN MURNANE | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

WSU track and Field Director Wayne Phipps talks about the team’s strengths and challenges looking forward on March 9 at Mooberry Track.

KATIE ARCHER, Evergreen reporter

WSU track and field wrapped up the Pelluer Invitational in Cheney, Washington on Saturday with 19 top-10 finishes and five event victories.

In the women’s 1,500-meter, sophomore Kiyena Beatty placed first with a time of 4:54.60. Freshman Geneva Schlepp followed in second at 4:57.57.

WSU freshmen took the top four spots in the women’s high jump with Suzy Pace leading the way at 1.65 meters. Madison Peffers grabbed second, Aislinn Overby secured third and Madison Hagfors earned fourth.

Senior Chrisshnay Brown claimed the women’s shot put with a throw of 14.28 meters.

In the women’s discus, senior Kaitlin Krouse gave the Cougars another first place finish. Krouse threw the discus a season-best 45.51 meters.

Junior Stacia Bell placed third in the women’s hammer throw with a mark of 50.67 meters.

In the men’s high jump, sophomore Beau Sheeran earned second with a jump of 1.90 meters.

Freshman Jacob Englar tied for second in the men’s pole vault with a mark of 5.00 meters and junior Troy Gingerich tied for fourth at 4.70 meters.

In the men’s discus, junior Drew Norvell took second throwing 44.25 meters and redshirt senior Amani Brown claimed the Cougars last victory of the meet in the men’s hammer throw.

WSU will compete in a trio of meets across California starting Wednesday.