Zags even season series with Cougs

Bulldogs pull away late to claim an 8-5 victory over WSU

Freshman+catcher+Bradley+Polinsky+swings+his+bat+during+the+game+against+Oregon+on+Apr.+12+at+Bailey-Brayton+Field.+

Zags even season series with Cougs

Freshman catcher Bradley Polinsky swings his bat during the game against Oregon on Apr. 12 at Bailey-Brayton Field.

JACOB BERTRAM | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

JACOB BERTRAM | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

JACOB BERTRAM | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

ISAAC SEMMLER, Evergreen reporter

Gonzaga got revenge on WSU baseball on Tuesday night in Spokane as they evened the season series 1-1 after defeating them 8-5.

The game was tied 5-5 heading into the bottom of the sixth inning, but the Bulldogs (20-17) scored three runs and held off a ninth inning effort by the Cougars (8-28-1) to secure the victory.

Freshman right-handed pitcher Zane Mills made his first career start on the mound and breezed through an easy first inning as he shutdown the Zags offense with three straight groundouts.

Despite looking dialed in the first inning, Mills would give up three runs in a rocky second inning. Two base hits followed by a walk and a wild pitch would set up Gonzaga to claim an early 3-0 lead.

Senior shortstop Andres Alvarez sparked the Cougar offense in the third with an RBI single to left field. Junior infielder Dillon Plew followed that up with an RBI sacrifice fly to make the score 3-2 in favor of the Zags.

Mills would only go two innings giving up three runs and was replaced by sophomore left-handed pitcher Bryce Moyle.

Moyle has been one of the more trusted pitchers in the bullpen this season for the Cougars. However, he gave up a two-run home run in the third inning to allow the Bulldogs to grab a 5-2 lead.

Alvarez’s impressive day at the plate continued in the fifth when he launched a solo home run to deep left field to bring the deficit to just two runs.

Gonzaga redshirt senior left-handed starting pitcher Justin Blatner would give up another run to the Cougars before being pulled after 4 1/3 innings of work. He was replaced by Gonzaga freshman right-handed pitcher Daniel Naughton who surrendered another run on an RBI double by sophomore outfielder Brody Barnum.

The Bulldogs wouldn’t be able to answer back in the fifth as freshman right-handed pitcher Connor Barison looked locked in through two innings of work.

Unfortunately, Barison would give up a walk followed by a wild pitch in the sixth inning and the Zags were able to jump on top 6-5 thanks to an RBI single. Redshirt junior left-handed pitcher Isaac Mullins would replace Barison in the sixth with one out.

Mullins would throw the Cougars fourth wild pitch on the night which allowed Gonzaga to score and take a 7-5 lead.

The Bulldogs would tack on one more run in the seventh to take an 8-5 lead and claim the win.

The Cougars road trip continues Friday as they head to Corvallis for a three-game series with Oregon State. First pitch for the series opener is set for 5:35 p.m. Friday.

ISAAC SEMMLER, Evergreen reporter

Isaac is a freshman sports management major with a minor in communication. He is from Tacoma, Washington.