OSU edges WSU by one run in extra innings

Cougars fall in 16th inning to Beavers in second longest game in school history

Freshman+pitcher+Ky+Bush+pitches+in+a+game+against+Stanford+on+March+29+at+Bailey-Brayton+Field.+

BEN SCHUH | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Freshman pitcher Ky Bush pitches in a game against Stanford on March 29 at Bailey-Brayton Field.

ISAAC SEMMLER, Evergreen reporter

WSU baseball fought through 16 innings but ultimately dropped its third straight game with a 4-3 loss to No. 2 Oregon State on Saturday in Corvallis. 

It was the second-longest game in terms of innings in WSU history.

Junior left-handed pitcher AJ Block took the mound for the Cougars (8-30-1, 1-15-1) to start the day. 

Block looked solid through the first two innings as he mowed down a tough Oregon State (30-10-1, 16-4) lineup.

In the top of the third inning, freshman catcher Bradley Polinsky reached base on an error and was able to advance to third thanks to a wild pitch. He would eventually score off a sacrifice fly from junior infielder Dillon Plew to give WSU an early 1-0 lead.

Block remained locked in as he continued to fool the Beavers with a mix of a two-seam fastball and a nasty curveball to maintain the Cougars lead.

OSU senior right-handed pitcher Bryce Fehmel looked just as dominant despite letting a run score in the third.

In the sixth inning, freshman outfielder and left-handed pitcher Tyson Guerrero hit an RBI double to right center to bring in sophomore infielder Jack Smith and increase the Cougars lead to 2-0.

The Beavers would rally in the bottom of the seventh, forcing Block out of the game after he surrendered multiple hits and three runs to give OSU a 3-2 lead. Block finished the day allowing five hits and three runs in six innings of work while striking out five.

Fortunately, WSU bounced back in the top of the eighth when Smith hit a sacrifice fly to right field to tie the game at 3-3.   

Guerrero came into pitch in the bottom of the ninth looking to send the game into extras. He would go 6 2/3 scoreless innings giving up only three hits and striking out six Beavers.  

Sophomore left-handed pitcher Bryce Moyle surrendered the winning run in the bottom of the 16th on an RBI single down the left field line to give OSU the 4-3 win.

The Beavers outhit the Cougars 13-10 in the game and OSU pitchers struck out a school record 23 batters.

First pitch for the series finale is set for 1:05 p.m. Sunday at Goss Stadium.