Cougars shut out by Beavers in series finale

JACOB BERTRAM | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Sophomore outfielder Collin Montez dives to catch the ball during the game against Oregon on Apr. 12 at Bailey-Brayton Field.

SAM GRANT, Evergreen reporter

No. 2 Oregon State swept WSU baseball in a three-game series over the weekend after securing a 2-0 win in a low-scoring pitching battle on Sunday.

WSU freshman right-handed pitcher Brandon White started and kept the Beavers’ bats quite early in the game.

White pitched 4 1/3 innings for the Cougars (8-31-1, 1-16-1). The Beavers (31-10-1, 17-4-0) scored one run off of him in the bottom of the fourth inning on an RBI sacrifice flyout.

During his time in the game, White allowed four hits, one walk and two strikeouts.

In the top of the fourth inning, sophomore right-handed pitcher Hayden Rosenkrantz came in to replace White. OSU responded by scoring another run on an RBI single from junior shortstop Andy Armstrong, making it 2-0 Beavers in the bottom of the sixth.

OSU junior right-handed pitcher Grant Gambrell went 8 1/3 innings, giving up two hits and recording 12 strikeouts.

The Cougars failed to rally late and were shut out for the fifth time this season. WSU suffered its fourth straight loss and seventh series sweep.

The Cougars will host UW for a three-game Apple Cup series starting 7 p.m. Friday at Bailey-Brayton Field.