Women’s golf places 11th in San Diego

COURTESY OF WSU ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS

Then senior Cherokee Kim tees off during the Cougar Cup at the Palouse Ridge Golf Club on Sept. 19, 2016.

After splitting its final two matches on Tuesday, the WSU women’s golf team finished 11th at the San Diego State University’s March Mayhem in Rancho Sante Fe, California.

No. 1 seed USC won the tournament, defeating No. 6 seed BYU, 5-0-0, in the championship match. Pepperdine defeated No. 12 seed Fresno State, 3-2-0, to take third place at the tournament.

In the first round of the SDSU’s March Mayhem, the Cougars fell to No. 7 Pepperdine, 4-1-0, moving the team to the consolation round of the tournament. WSU made a strong comeback in the second round after defeating No. 15 seed San Francisco, 4-0-1.

On Monday, junior Bree Wanderscheid led the Cougars in the first round, winning her match against Pepperdine’s sophomore Hira Naveed.

Sophomore Madison Odiorne, freshman Marie Lund-Hansen, senior Cherokee Kim, and junior Alivia Brown all persevered throughout the second round, coming out with strong leads against San Francisco.

Odiorne fell short of Pepperdine’s sophomore Patricia Wong in the first match but rebounded in her second match and defeated San Francisco’s Samantha Gong 2 and 1.

Lund-Hansen went 1-1 in her two matches after falling to Pepperdine’s junior Tatiana Wijaya, 3 and 2, in the first round, then beating San Francisco’s Emily Laskin, 5 and 4, in the second round.

The No. 10 seed Cougars concluded the tournament on Tuesday at The Farms Golf Club after falling to No. 14 seed New Mexico, 3-1-1, in the third round. The Cougars would go on to defeat No. 8 seed UNLV, 3-1-1, in the fourth round.

Lund-Hansen won both of her matches on Tuesday, pulling ahead of New Mexico’s senior Eva Saulnier and UNLV’s sophomore Elizabeth Prior both by one-up.

Wanderscheid fell in the third round only to bounce back in the final match, posting an impressive 4 and 3 victory over sophomore Alyssa Getty of UNLV. Brown also succeeded in tying with UNLV’s junior Mackenzie Raim in the final round.

Overall, the Cougars showed persistence in the tournament, never allowing losses to make it past a single round. WSU’s comeback rate proved to be impressive as each player continued to succeed in the second half of their respective tournament rounds for each day.

The Cougars will travel to Napa, California, next to compete at the Silverado Showdown on April 9 – 11.

Reporting by Jesse Woodhead