Apartment fire caused $200,000 of damage

From staff reports

The Cougar Ridge apartment fire on Tuesday night caused $200,000 worth of damage and displaced seven residents from five different apartment units, according to a Pullman Fire Department news release.

Of the seven relocated residents, five are students and WSU found housing to accommodate them. The remaining two were helped by The American Red Cross to find temporary housing, according to the news release.

The fire department felt it was necessary to shut off the electricity for the entire building. There was some smoke and water damage to the apartments below the five affected units, according to the news release.

The fire originated from a stove, which the resident of the apartment claimed to have turned off before showering, but the burners ignited a grease-covered paper towel, according to the news release.

After attempting to extinguish the fire himself, the resident decided to call the fire department, according to the news release.

Investigators found a smoke detector with a battery, but it did not work, the fire marshal said in the news release.

At 7:02 p.m., Pullman and Whitman County Rural District 12 firefighters were called to the scene, a Pullman dispatch officer said.

The only injury acquired from the event was a cut hand when the resident broke through glass to get the fire extinguisher.

Reporting by Caitlin Grover