‘Heart of the team’

From high school to Pac-12, Frimpong-Ellertson looks to make impact, gain confidence, improve

TIMOTHY FAIRBANKS-CLOUSER | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

Freshman forward, MacKenzie Frimpong-Ellertson, takes the ball down the field during the game against Loyola Marymount on Sunday afternoon at the Lower Soccer Field.

KURIA POUNDS, Evergreen reporter

The WSU Soccer team is a veteran team led by graduate goalkeeper Ella Dederick, senior forward Morgan Weaver and junior defender Hanna Goff, but the true surprise is coming from the underclassmen, and the success they have brought to this season.

Freshman forward MacKenzie Frimpong-Ellertson said she came into this WSU team with ambition and drive to be the best that she can be. She said that she immediately felt included and had a second family with the team, which is what she wanted when she came to play for WSU.

“I keep saying that I love this school. I’m just really happy here,” she said.

Coming from Vancouver, Washington, Frimpong-Ellertson played varsity soccer all four seasons and started in every game she played in at King’s Way Christian High School. As a senior, she made 37 goals and 31 assists, which led to the team’s first trip to the state championship game.

Frimpong-Ellertson said that for her WSU career so far, she is happy with the results that she is getting and is excited to see how the team will make an impact on the Pac-12 Conference.

“It’s just about developing our game and seeing where it will take us,” Frimpong-Ellertson said.

Sophomore defender Mykiaa Minniss said Frimpong-Ellertson is fitting in perfectly and her confidence is gaining because of her experience at WSU.

“I just feel like over time, she’s going to get better,” Minniss said.

Minniss said Frimpong-Ellertson is her best friend. With her playing experience from her freshman year, Minniss said she is taking Frimpong-Ellertson under her wing, and that has resulted in them developing a good relationship on and off the field.

“I would say she’s the heart of the team now,” Minniss said. “She just brings everyone together and she’s a part of our family now.”

Junior defender Elyse Bennett said Frimpong-Ellertson was her roommate for the road games and the connection has grown because of their similar personalities. Bennett said she is excited to see how Frimpong-Ellertson can grow in the year to come.

“She had a lot of experience coming out of high school, and had success in high school,” Bennett said.

Frimpong-Ellertson said as a freshman, she wants to make an impact and gain confidence in herself, because it can be intimidating to play in the Pac-12 coming from high school. She also wants to enjoy her freshman year and continue to improve.

“It’s not really a matter of seniors and freshmen, it’s just the team together,” Frimpong-Ellertson said.